Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternative Geometric Proof ideas?

1. Aug 29, 2008 #1

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The question from my textbook was "Give a complete proof that the largest triangle that can be inscribed in a circle is an equilateral triangle ", largest meaning that with the greatest area.

I found a proof that finds the area of the general triangle in terms of the angles, and through quite a bit of calculus trickery showed that it reached a maximum when all angles were equal to 60 degrees, ie Equilateral triangle, but my teacher said that there was a different, geometric based proof that didn't require calculus at all, though he could not produce it. This question came from a chapter of the textbook that was past basic Differentiation, but not yet up to the derivatives of trig functions, so there probably should be a more elementary proof right? If anyone has any ideas, please share !

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Gib Z! :smile:

You can easily prove that the area of a triangle in a circle of radius r is 4r²sinAsinBsinC, or r²(sin2A + sin2B + sin2C).

Now, if A+B is fixed, then sinAsinB = cos(A-B)/2 - cos(A+B)/2, or sin2A + sin2B = 2sin(A+B)cos(A_B), which are both obviously greatest for A = B.

Now fill in the gaps and make good! :biggrin:

4. Aug 29, 2008 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Umm. I dont really understand the "If A+B is fixed" part. Basically, I got the same formula and then, since C= pi - (A+B), the formula could be expressed as 4r^2 sin A sin B sin (A+B).

Then I held B constant and differentiated, showing the maximum was when 2a+b = pi. Then I subbed that back into the formula, and maximized for b again. That took quite a while :(

5. Aug 29, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That means C is fixed, but you're free to change A and B … and the result is that A = B is best.

If a triangle is not equilateral, then two of the angles must be unequal (A and B, say).

So making them equal would be better.

So a non-equilateral triangle cannot be the largest. :smile:

6. Aug 29, 2008 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Ahh I see! Thanks. And I think I ran into a similar expression using my slightly different method, perhaps I can just show its obviously a maximum rather than use calculus. Thank you!

7. Aug 29, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just thought of a much simpler proof …

forget trigonometry :biggrin:

suppose the largest triangle is not equilateral, then two sides must be unequal …

let the vertex where they meet be P, and the opposite side be QR …

Let S be where the bisector of QR meets the larger arc QR.

Then S is clearly further from QR than P is …

and area = QR x height …

so areaSQR > areaPQR.

So the largest triangle must be equilateral. :smile:

EDIT: interestingly, if you follow this procedure, of progressively making isoceles triangles, starting with angle A, the first two steps give angles 90º - A/2 and 45º + A/4, and after 2n steps 45º(1 + 1/4 + … + (1/4)n) + A/4n, of which the limit is 45º x 4/3 = 60º:smile:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  8. Aug 30, 2008 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Awesome! That was the sort of thing I was looking for =D. Thanks heaps!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?