Geometry + Trigonometry Textbook

In summary, the person is looking for a trigonometry textbook that includes proofs for theorems in geometry that are necessary for understanding trigonometry. They are also seeking a logical and conceptual understanding of trigonometric formulas and are open to using visual proofs. They have also been recommended various resources for studying geometry and trigonometry.
OldBeginning
Basically, I want a trigonometry textbook, but a lot of the texts on trigonometry use theorems in geometry as though you are already familiar with them and simply skip proofs for these theorems (such as Pythagoras theorem, some properties of triangles, properties of quadrilaterals and triangles inscribed in a circle, etc). Now, I don't want a separate text for geometry listing these theorems and their proofs. I need a trigonometry text where geometry is the introductory part (with proofs), covering only the theorems necessary and approaching these theorems in such a way that they make the sections on trigonometry easier (kind of like how Serge Lang introduced isometries before analytic geometry).

My main problem with trigonometry are the formulas dealing with relations btw. various trig. ratios (specifically, trig. ratios of sum & difference of angles). I can learn them by heart, but no matter how much I think about them, I can't understand them conceptually. Even the proofs that use the distance formula for two points on the unit circle don't seem to help with my understanding.

So, the question is, does anyone know of a trigonometric text where everything follows logically and is hard to understand (hard to understand, because it would use concepts necessary to understand the matter clearly)?

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Euclidean geometry is different than algebra or calculus in that it is a highly empirical science. That is, there exists many different axiomatizations of Euclidean space which are equally good so it is not necessary to encounter any axiodeductive proof in Euclidean geometry. Visual proofs should suffice.

To prove that the interior angles of a quadralateral add up to a full circle, it is only necessary to convince oneself that the interior angles of a triangle add up to a line. This can be justified by a method I was taught in 5th grade: Cut out a paper triangle and then cut each of its three corners. Juxtapose those corners and the scraps of paper form a straight line. You can prove that a quadralateral's interior angles add up to a full circle by partitioning it into two triangles and doing a bit of algebra.

There are a lot of "proofs" to the Pythagoran theorem. My favorite is the "oragami" technique explained by Vi Hart:

A great website to learn lots of geometric theorems and their proofs at cut-the-knot: http://www.cut-the-knot.org/manifesto/index.shtml

Of course, the best way to study geometry is by getting a geometry kit, a copy of Hilbert's Geometry and the Imagination, and go to work!

For trigonometry, I'd recommend Gel'fand Trigonometry. If you want a more rigorous treatment of the trigonometric functions (i.e. their analytic definition), Shilov has a nice section on it in Elementary Real and Complex Analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

1. What is the purpose of studying Geometry and Trigonometry?

The purpose of studying Geometry and Trigonometry is to understand and analyze the properties and relationships of shapes and figures in both two and three-dimensional spaces. These fields of mathematics also provide tools for solving real-world problems involving angles and distances.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Geometry and Trigonometry textbook?

A typical Geometry and Trigonometry textbook will cover topics such as basic geometric shapes and their properties, angles and their measurements, Pythagorean Theorem, trigonometric functions and their applications, and geometric proofs.

3. How can Geometry and Trigonometry be applied in everyday life?

Geometry and Trigonometry have many practical applications in daily life, such as in architecture, engineering, navigation, and construction. They are also used in various fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and biology.

4. Is prior knowledge of algebra necessary to understand Geometry and Trigonometry?

While a basic understanding of algebra can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand Geometry and Trigonometry. These fields of mathematics have their own set of rules and concepts that can be learned independently.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Geometry and Trigonometry?

To improve your understanding of Geometry and Trigonometry, it is important to practice solving problems and working with geometric figures. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources that offer explanations and practice exercises.