Alternative proof to a trivial problem

• I
  • Thread starter trees and plants
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In this case, you need to know what you mean by "the union of a collection of sets is a set which contains all the elements of the sets in the collection".So, you start by saying "let x be an element of the union...". Then you use what you know about what it means to be an element of a union... which is that x is an element of at least one of the sets in the collection.Then you need to show that x is also an element of the set you are trying to prove is equal to the union.
trees and plants
Hi.I have this trivial problem for a metric d(x,y) that d((x,y)≥0. My alternative proof is 2d(x,y)=√4d2(x,y)=√d2(x,y)+d2(y,x)+2d(x,y)d(y,x)=√(d(x,y)+d(y,x))2≥d(x,x)=0 .Well it perhaps is a trivial proof but I did not know of this proof so I wanted to post it. Do you know other alternative proofs of this or other elementary or not so trivial problems in topology of metric spaces?The book I read had other proof for this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
universe function said:
Hi.I have this trivial problem for a metric d(x,y) that d((x,y)≥0. My alternative proof is 2d(x,y)=√4d2(x,y)=√d2(x,y)+d2(y,x)+2d(x,y)d(y,x)=√(d(x,y)+d(y,x))2≥d(x,x)=0 .Well it perhaps is a trivial proof but I did not know of this proof so I wanted to post it. Do you know other alternative proofs of this or other elementary or not so trivial problems in topology of metric spaces?The book I read had other proof for this problem.
Unless ##d(x, y) \ge 0##, then ##d(x, y) = \sqrt{d(x, y)^2}## does not hold.

Likes member 587159
You are correct.I made a mistake.I will post another exercise.Let us have A a non empty, open and subset of a metric space E.Let us also have An={x∈E: d(x,Ac)>1/n}, n∈ ℕ.Prove that i)A=∪n∈ℕ An

universe function said:
You are correct.I made a mistake.I will post another exercise.Let us have A a non empty, open and subset of a metric space E.Let us also have An={x∈E: d(x,A
c)>1/n}, n∈ ℕ.Prove that i)A=∪n∈ℕ A
n
You should try some Latex:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

In any case, we need to see your best attempt at this problem.

ok, i will tell what I have figured out.We know that a metric space can be represented as a union of spherical neighborhoods with the same center. By definition an open set is one that A=Ao, and the interior of A containts the interior points of A, which means that if y is an element of A, then for a metric d and a neighborhood B(y,r), we have that B(y,r)⊆A, where B(y,r)={x∈E: d(x,y)<r}.Also (Ac)c=A.What should I do?Try with the definitions, look for some other theorems?Any help provided is good.Thank you.

universe function said:
ok, i will tell what I have figured out.We know that a metric space can be represented as a union of spherical neighborhoods with the same center. by definition an open set is one that A=Ao, and the interior of A containts the interior points of A, which means that if y is an element of A, then for a metric d and a neighborhood B(y,r), we have that B(y,r)⊆A, where B(y,r)={x∈E: d(x,y)<r}.Also (Ac)c=A.What should I do?Try with the definitions, look for some other theorems?Any help provided is good.Thank you.
If you have to prove that two sets are equal, then one approach is to show that each is a subset of the other. In this case you need to show that:

1) ##A \subseteq \bigcup A_n##; and,

2) ##\bigcup A_n \subseteq A##

To do this, you could show that:

1) ##x \in A \ \Rightarrow \ x \in \bigcup A_n##; and,

2) ##x \in \bigcup A_n \ \Rightarrow \ x \in A##.

Thank for the answer PeroK,The steps you said I did try them but I could not continue. d(x,Ac):= inf{d(x,z): z∈Ac} if that helps.

universe function said:
Thank for the answer PeroK,The steps you said I did try them but I could not continue. d(x,Ac):= inf{d(x,z): z∈Ac} if that helps.
That gets you started. What about showing that ##\bigcup A_n \subseteq A##?

That should not be too hard.

I can not combine them.A little hint if you can.I think if z∈∪An then d(z,Ac)>1 or d(z,Ac)>1/2 or...or d(z,Ac)>1/n.Do I need to do something with the infimum?

universe function said:
I can not combine them.A little hint if you can.I think if z∈∪An then d(z,Ac)>1 or d(z,Ac)>1/2 or...or d(z,Ac)>1/n.
Okay, a neater way to say that is that if ##z \in \bigcup A_n##, then ##\exists n: \ z \in A_n##.

Can you show that ##A_n \subseteq A##?

If A⊆Ao, then if z∈A⇒z∈Ao .This is for A being an open set. It think that if d(x,Ac)>1/n then d(x,Ac) is a supremum for the set B={1/n: n∈ℕ}.

We need to show that after z∈An, then z∈Ao. We do something with the metrics I suppose.

universe function said:
If A⊆Ao, then if z∈A⇒z∈Ao .This is for A being an open set. It think that if d(x,Ac)>1/n then d(x,Ac) is a supremum for the set B={1/n: n∈ℕ}.
This is getting muddled. Let me show you a simple proof of something else that might help.

Suppose we have a sequence of sets ##S_n## and ##\forall n: S_n \subseteq S##. Then we can show that:
$$\bigcup S_n \subseteq S$$.

Proof: Let ##x \in \ \bigcup S_n##. Then ##\exists n: x \in S_n##. But, ##S_n \subseteq S##, hence ##x \in S##.

We have shown that:
$$x \in \ \bigcup S_n \ \Rightarrow x \in S$$
Which is equivalent to:
$$\bigcup S_n \subseteq S$$
Now, that result may help you a little. But, more important, you need to try to learn that style of logical proof writing.

It has two other subexercises, the one I have solved it, but the other I have not.It says:iii) for every n∈ℕ, An is open set.

universe function said:
It has two other subexercises, the one I have solved it, but the other I have not.It says:iii) for every n∈ℕ, An is open set.
Okay, but to be honest you haven't shown any progress on this problem yet.

Perhaps if d(z,Ac)>1/n⇒d(z,A)≤1/n ? I hope that one helps.

universe function said:
Perhaps if d(z,Ac)>1/n⇒d(z,A)≤1/n ? I hope that one helps.
What about ##d(z, A^c) > \frac 1 n \ \Rightarrow \ z \notin A^c##. Is that even better?

Last edited:
Likes trees and plants
It is almost unbelievable how I could not think of it.Sorry for that.It follows after that, but my question is that we are talking about the infimum,not the metric of two points.

PeroK said:
##d(z, A^c) > \frac 1 n \ \Rightarrow \ z \notin A^c##.

Do you see why this is true?

I suppose that if it is the infimum then every other metric≥ satisfies the condition. I have a little flaw with doing mistakes in proofs.How do we know when a proof is fully correct?From experience perhaps?

universe function said:
I suppose that if it is the infimum then every other metric≥ satisfies the condition.
That's not the point. The point is that ##z \in A^c \ \Rightarrow \ d(z, A^c) = 0##.

Do you undertstand the idea of contraposition?

Likes trees and plants
You are right, incredible what applications theorems have.I now see why it is true.Perhaps I need to reconsider the theorems I know.

It is that I take the wrong ways to follow, something like I think I have prejudices about math.

PeroK said:
That's not the point. The point is that ##z \in A^c \ \Rightarrow \ d(z, A^c) = 0##.

Do you undertstand the idea of contraposition?
Yes I do.(p⇒q) ⇒ (~q⇒~p ) where p, q are propositions, in propositional logic.

universe function said:
Yes I do.(p⇒q) ⇒ (~q⇒~p ) where p, q are propositions, in propositional logic.
So you understand in this case that:

##z \in A^c \ \Rightarrow \ d(z, A^c) = 0##.

Is the same as:

##d(z, A^c) > 0 \ \Rightarrow \ z \notin A^c \ \Rightarrow z \in A##

PeroK said:
So you understand in this case that:

##z \in A^c \ \Rightarrow \ d(z, A^c) = 0##.

Is the same as:

##d(z, A^c) > 0 \ \Rightarrow \ z \notin A^c \ \Rightarrow z \in A##
Yes I do understand.How about the converse of it and other question that for every n∈ℕ, An is open set ?Thank you .

universe function said:
Yes I do understand.How about the converse of it and other question that for every n∈ℕ, An is open set ?Thank you .
You have to make some effort on the converse.

We know that A⊆A - and d(z,A)=d(z,A-), (Ac)-=(Ao)c and A⊆Ao for A as an open set, if A⊆B⇒Bc⊆Ac.How should I proceed?

universe function said:
We know that A⊆A - and d(z,A)=d(z,A-), (Ac)-=(Ao)c and A⊆Ao for A as an open set, if A⊆B⇒Bc⊆Ac.How should I proceed?
I don't see the relevance of ##A^-##.

Let ##x \in A \dots##. And remember that ##A## is open.

See post #6.

I think if A⊆An then An⊆∪n∈ℕAn. I do not know what to do next.I tried somehow.

universe function said:
I think if A⊆An then An⊆∪n∈ℕAn. I do not know what to do next.I tried somehow.
That can't be right. We already know that every ##A_n## is a subset of ##A##. What you need to do is to show that every element of ##A## is in at least one of the ##A_n##.

Note that ##A## is open and, therefore, every ##x \in A## has a neighbourhood in ##A##. That's the defining property of an open set. That geometrically is very close to what you need to show. If we take ##x \in A## then for some ##n## we have ##x \in A_n##.

You need to complete the proof rigorously, but do you see the idea?

I thought of something, but I suppose it is wrong. I will say it: A is open, so we have B(x,r)⊆A and for y∈B(x,r) also y∈A. d(x,y)<r, so d(x,y)=r/2 and because d(x,Ac )>1 we choose a y for d(y,Ac)=1+1/2 and we take as r=10/2,so d(x,Ac)≥d(x,y)-d(Ac,y)=r/2-3/2=10/4-3/2=1.

universe function said:
I thought of something, but I suppose it is wrong. I will say it: A is open, so we have B(x,r)⊆A and for z∈B(x,r) also z∈A. d(x,y)<r, so d(x,y)=r/2 and because d(x,Ac )>1 we choose a y for d(y,Ac)=1+1/2 and we take as r=10/2,so d(x,Ac)≥d(x,y)-d(Ac,y)=r/2-3/2=10/4-3/2=1.
I can't follow any of that. You must get into the habit of specifying what things are and using the quantifiers ##\forall## and ##\exists##. What are ##x, y, z, r##? And why is ##d(x, A^c) > 1##?

To give you a bit more help, you could start with:

Let ##x \in A##. As ##A## is open, there exists a neighbourhood of ##x## within ##A##. I.e. ##\exists r: B(x, r) \subseteq A##.

If we took the union of B(x,rx) and the union of An?Would it help?Because a set is open if it can be represented as a union of spherical neighborhoods.

universe function said:
If we took the union of B(x,rx) and the union of An?Would it help?
Which ##n##? To do what? You're trying to find ##n## where ##x \in A_n##.

Hint: ##n## must be related to ##r## somehow.