Alternative proof to a trivial problem

• I
  • Thread starter trees and plants
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In this case, you need to know what you mean by "the union of a collection of sets is a set which contains all the elements of the sets in the collection".So, you start by saying "let x be an element of the union...". Then you use what you know about what it means to be an element of a union... which is that x is an element of at least one of the sets in the collection.Then you need to show that x is also an element of the set you are trying to prove is equal to the union.
If we consider r=1/n and y∈Ac?What is the solution?I do not know.

Physics news on Phys.org
universe function said:
If we consider r=1/n and y∈Ac?What is the solution?I do not know.
That's getting close. Technically, you let ##n > 1/r##. Then you show that ##\forall y \in A^c##, we have ##d(x, y) > 1/n##.

That tells you that ##d(x, A^c) \ge \frac 1 n > \frac 1 {n+1}## and you're done.

You have to put that all together though.

Likes trees and plants
I reached so far at least.It is just the details I had to deal with, although they are important and they are needed.Thank you.I must leave from the forum now.I will see you tomorrow hopefully.

Likes PeroK
I always thought that ##d(x,y)\ge 0## was part of the definition?

mathman said:
I always thought that ##d(x,y)\ge 0## was part of the definition?
So did I, but apparently this condition can be deduced from the others.

PeroK said:
So did I, but apparently this condition can be deduced from the others.
There seems to be a long series of posts which appear to lead to this conclusion. Could you summarize it, starting from the beginning?

mathman said:
There seems to be a long series of posts which appear to lead to this conclusion. Could you summarize it, starting from the beginning?
From post #3 or #4 we switched to a new problem.

PeroK said:
From post #3 or #4 we switched to a new problem.
If I understand you correctly, you never proved ##d(x,y)\ge 0## can be deduced, as opposed to being part of the definition.

mathman said:
If I understand you correctly, you never proved ##d(x,y)\ge 0## can be deduced, as opposed to being part of the definition.
Not on this thread. It's on the wikipedia page if you are interested.