1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternatives to Intro Physics Physics for Scientists -Jewett

1. Aug 26, 2013 #1
    Alternatives to "Intro Physics Physics for Scientists"--Jewett

My community college Calculus/Physics course is going to use this textbook (Intro Physics for Scientists and Engineers). Does anyone have any better textbooks to learn from, either plainly better in the sense that is explains concepts better, or more rigorous, yet still not too hard for a beginner who has only basic calculus and a quarter of basics physics under his belt? I have read awful reviews on amazon, and the reviews on this site range from awful to mediocre, at best.
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2013 #2
    Maybe you could consider looking at "University Physics" Young Freedman.
    But it's hard to tell wheter that's too difficult or not.
    It has got a lot of exercises with answers, solution manuals are also availible with the complete calculation of the answers.

4. Aug 30, 2013 #3
    This is the book I have already used
    http://www.flipkart.com/physics-scientists-engineers-modern-7th/p/itmdytsfn7kxx2gs?pid=9788131514047
    (It is also recommended by R. Shankar on Yale Open Physics Course)
    All Chapters have not more than 55 questions which are far easier than University Physics.also University Physics has more than 100 Problems in each chapter. So if you are looking for just skip and finish textbook then Jewett is good one in other-ways go with University Physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted