1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics - for scientists and engineers vol. 2

1. Jul 9, 2003 #1
    I warned all of you that I would return with another review of school texts...

Note: I only have the 2nd volume because I transferred from Cal. State Fullerton to Colorado State University between Physics I and Physics II. So this synopsis will only cover the 2nd half of the (typically) two semester course. This volume does not include topics found in physics I such as the introduction to vectors, gravity, inertia, projectile motion, etc...

Title: Physics for scientists and engineers; with modern physics volume 2 (4th edition)
    Author: Raymond A. Serway
    Publisher: Saunders College Publishing

Approximate price: I dont remember. I bought it used probably for ~$60.

I believe that there is a current edition but I am not certain on that. I took this course a couple years ago (like 3).

Part IV Electricity and Magnetism
    23. Electric Fields
    24. Gauss's Law
    25. Electric Potential
    26. Capacitance and Dielectrics
    27. Current and Resistance
    28. Direct Current Circuits
    29. Magnetic Fields
    30. Sources of the Magnetic Fields
    31. Faraday's Law
    32. Inductance
    33. Alternating Current Circuits
    34. Electromagnetic Waves
    Part V Light and Optics
    35. The Nature of Light and the Laws of Geometric Optics
    36. Geometric Optics
    37. Interference of Light Waves
    38. Diffractions and Polarization
    Part VI Modern Physics
    39. Relativity
    40. Introduction to Quantum Physics
    41. Quantum Mechanics
    42. Atomic Physics
    43. Molecules and Solids
    44. Superconductivity
    45. Nuclear Structure
    46. Fission and Fusion
    47. Particle Physics and Cosmology
    Appendix A Tables
    Appendix B Mathematics Review

Pros: Covers virtually everything that a calculus-based physics book should. Adequately describes the core concepts for your understanding. Plenty of examples and diagrams as well as equation derivations.

Cons: Complex concepts may be difficult for those who have not studied past Calculus III (see my other text book review on Calculus for what is needed!).

Benefits: The reader will develop stronger problem solving and critical thinking skills. Also gain a much better understanding of the events occuring in the physical world with the ability to describe what is happening.

Conclusion: I was a tutor for physics and math at CSU for 2 years and I like this book the best so far. I have lent it to my students for their research (homework) and they agree. This book is an excellent resource for the up and coming scientist, engineer, and physicist.

(sorry, I like this smiley!)
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2003 #2
    I agree I used this book over the course of 3 classes

Physics I - first third
    Physics II - last Third Minus Modern
    Physics I&1/2(A loving title because the engineers at my school don't have to take it) - middle section on wave, optics, and thermo

Overall a very nice book that address every major concern in beginning undergrad physics. I do however caution anyone buying it that it is not always clear on how to apply the mathematical definitions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?