1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics for scientists and engineers

1. Aug 10, 2013 #1
    The above is the title of the book, written by Serway and Beichner. My question is this a good book to self teach calculus physics before going to college? I don't want to learn from a weak book. Any suggestions or opinions?
    I start classes(calc physics) on August 24th, I would like to be prepared

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2013 #2
    Sorry I didn't see the physics textbook sub category

4. Aug 10, 2013 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

That's OK, we move threads around all the time. Now that you know where this forum is, though... :wink:

5. Aug 11, 2013 #4
    Hey JT, it won't let me post a topic in the physics and astronomy textbooks subsection. Is there anyway I can resolve this?

6. Aug 11, 2013 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Threads in that forum are supposed to be focused on specific individual textbooks. Only Mentors, Science Advisors and Homework Helpers can start a new thread there. If you don't see a textbook there, suggest it in the sticky thread "Request a physics/astronomy textbook listing" at the top of that forum.

"Serway and Beichner" is listed as Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway and Jewett. According to amazon.com, "Serway, Beichner and Jewett" is the fifth edition, whereas the current edition (ninth) is simply "Serway and Jewett." I don't know what happened to Beichner. Maybe he died, or maybe he didn't get tenure.

7. Aug 11, 2013 #6
    Oh I see thank you for not mocking my question as simple as it was, as I am new to this forum and the rules are not hundred percent clear to me as of yet I will read over the thread as you suggested, and proceed with my overvoew

Edit: I wrote this with talk to word on my iPhone, so grammar is lacking.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted