1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Am I Getting the Hang of Relations

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    1. R on the set (the reals) defined by xRy iff (x < 0) or (x > or equal to 0 and x = y)

2. None

Reflexive - Yes, since no matter what x I choose, x will always be equal to x, and will therefore fit the conditions of the relation.

Symmetric - It is symmetric because if I choose a positive y, then it is symmetric because of (x > or equal to 0 and x = y). If I choose a negative y, it is symmetric because of (x < 0).

Transitive - I am a little unclear on this one. I think however, that it is transitive because if I choose a positive z, then it is transitive because of (y > or equal to 0 and y = z). If I choose a negative z, it is transitive because of (y < 0).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2
    I don't think it's symmetric. For example, it seems xRy but not yRx when x=-1 and y=1.

And I think you're right that it is transitive. However, it seems like you'd want to condition on x rather than z. That is, suppose xRy and yRz.
    Then either x<0, in which case xRz. Or x>=0, in which case x=y so xRz because yRz.

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3
    That was helpful, thank you grief.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook