1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I missing something? Basic acceleration

1. Sep 7, 2008 #1
    Hey everyone, quick question from the new guy. I don't know maybe I'm just making it harder than it is.

Car A is traveling east at 15.7 m/s. As car A crosses the intersection, car B starts from rest 42 m north of the intersection and moves south with a constant acceleration of 1.2 m/s2.
    What is the distance between A and B 5 s after A crosses the intersection?

So car A is obviously 78.5 meters east of the intersection. It seems like a simple a^2 +b^2=c^2 problem but for some reason I cant convert car B's acceleration of 1.2 m/s^2 to a correct displacement. It seems to me car B should be 36m from the intersection but that cant be correct.
    So can someone please explain to me how to convert acceleration to displacement.

P.S. I tried using delta x=vit+1/2axt2 with no luck either.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2008 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

That's strange. I would have tried that. Could you show us the details of how you tried to use it?

4. Sep 7, 2008 #3
    I must be using it incorrectly. I used,
    (1.2)*(5)+1/2(1.2)(5)^2= 21

then ((21)^2 +(78.5)^2)^1/2 = 81.3

Is my initial velocity wrong and what causing the problem?

5. Sep 7, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What is the (1.2)*(5) ?

6. Sep 7, 2008 #5
    acceleration multiplied by time

7. Sep 7, 2008 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Yes. I know what it is. Just wondering why you put that term in there?

Wasn't car B at rest?

8. Sep 7, 2008 #7
    I see what your saying. The initial velocity isn't 1.2 its 0. That makes sense and gives a correct answer.

thanks for the help. This is the first time I have used this site and you guys where great.:!!) Thanks again.

9. Sep 7, 2008 #8
    one more quick question though

the next question is asking what is the speed and magnitude of acceleration of car B relative to A

What exactly do they mean by relative?

10. Sep 7, 2008 #9
    In relation to each other, I'm guessing.

11. Sep 7, 2008 #10

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Yes that is correct.

12. Sep 7, 2008 #11
    can you be a little more specific? I cant seem to find anything in the text about how to go about seting these up.

13. Sep 7, 2008 #12
    am I wrong assuming the final velociy of car B is 6 m/s at T=5?

14. Sep 7, 2008 #13

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Start out by thinking about what is the equation for the distance car B travels relative to the origin (intersection) in terms of velocity and acceleration.

Likewise for the distance Car A travels from the origin (intersection).

Perhaps you can exploit the fact at any point in time the distance traveled by both is along the sides of a right triangle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?