Minimum Acceleration of an ambulance

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which an ambulance driver must reach an intersection before a traffic light turns red. Through the use of the equation D = V(initial)t + 1/2at^2, the minimum acceleration and speed of the ambulance are determined to be 3.008 m/s^2 and 97.056 km/h, respectively.
Austin Gibson

Homework Statement

An ambulance driver is rushing a patient to the hospital. While traveling at 70 km/h, she notices the traffic light at the upcoming intersections has turned amber. To reach the intersection before the light turns red, she must travel 58 m in 2.5 s.

What minimum acceleration (in m/s2) must the ambulance have to reach the intersection before the light turns red? (Enter the magnitude.)

What is the speed (in km/h) of the ambulance when it reaches the intersection?

Picture of question: https://gyazo.com/cc955179090381952a181d7d7926d3d1

Homework Equations

D = V(initial)t + 1/2at^2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm genuinely unsure where to begin. Please, share a couple hints.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Austin Gibson said:

Homework Equations

D = V(initial)t + 1/2at^2[/B]

This equation already is a very good start to solve question #1. Which values can you assign to the respective symbols in the formula?

I converted the initial velocity to 19.44 m/s. Then, I inserted the numbers and solved for the acceleration. I derived 3.008 m/s^2 for acceleration. I'm assuming I can insert that to isolate the distance in the original equation?

Last edited:
Austin Gibson said:
I converted the initial velocity to 19.44 m/s. Then, I inserted the numbers and solved for the acceleration. I derived 3.008 m/s^2 for acceleration. I'm assuming I can insert that to isolate the final velocity in "vf^2 = vi^2 + 2aD"?

So you've already answered the first question - not a problem obviously. Solving the second question with the work-energy theorem seems a little bit pedestrian (even if it is possible). Maybe you can think about a kinematic correlation to solve the problem, like you did for the first question?

I calculated 58m for distance and then I inserted that into "vf^2 = vi^2 + 2aD." I then derived 26.96 m/s which is 97.056 km/h. May someone confirm this?

Seems correct to me.

stockzahn said:
Seems correct to me.
Thank you for your assistance!

Austin Gibson said:
I converted the initial velocity to 19.44 m/s. Then, I inserted the numbers and solved for the acceleration. I derived 3.008 m/s^2 for acceleration. I'm assuming I can insert that to isolate the distance in the original equation?
The distance was given, why to isolate it?
How does the velocity change with time ?

1. What is the minimum acceleration of an ambulance?

The minimum acceleration of an ambulance varies depending on several factors, such as the weight of the ambulance, the road conditions, and the current speed of the vehicle. However, in general, the minimum acceleration of an ambulance is around 2-3 meters per second squared.

2. Why is the minimum acceleration of an ambulance important?

The minimum acceleration of an ambulance is important because it can affect the response time and efficiency of the ambulance in emergency situations. A higher minimum acceleration allows the ambulance to reach its destination faster, potentially saving lives.

3. How is the minimum acceleration of an ambulance calculated?

The minimum acceleration of an ambulance is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for the ambulance to reach that velocity. This can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. What factors affect the minimum acceleration of an ambulance?

Several factors can affect the minimum acceleration of an ambulance, including the weight and design of the vehicle, the engine power, the road conditions, and the load in the ambulance. In addition, external factors such as traffic and weather conditions can also impact the minimum acceleration.

5. Can the minimum acceleration of an ambulance be improved?

Yes, the minimum acceleration of an ambulance can be improved by optimizing the design and weight of the vehicle, using more powerful engines, and maintaining the vehicle regularly. Additionally, proper training and driving techniques can also help improve the minimum acceleration of an ambulance.