1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amateur question about Bachelors

1. Mar 5, 2010 #1
    How come in some countries require two years to earn a bachelor and some require five?

In many countries, it is four years.

Is there really a difference when compare with the four years to the two years Bachelors in terms of knowledge?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2010 #2
    'cause different countries have their own standards about what goes into a bachelors degree. In the US, a bachelors is anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 core requirements, which usually consist of liberal arts courses and some science and math that everyone has to take. A lot of other countries don't bother with that and instead only require major specific courses for a degree. It's all variable that way.
  4. Mar 5, 2010 #3
    i know in the UK, the lower edu is 13 years compared to 12 in the us. but college is 3 years vs. 4 in the uk, us respectively.

keep stuff like that in mind.
  5. Mar 5, 2010 #4
    In Ontario (Canada) it was (when I went through) 13 years lower edu and 4 years under grad, though they changed that recently to 12 years lower edu. But you can get a general degree in three years, and honours degree in 4. That said some people take a larger or smaller course load so a nominal 4 year degree could in theory take 3 years or 5 years depending on how you pace yourself.
  6. Mar 5, 2010 #5
    But if say you got a two-year-bachelor from another country that only requires two-years to get a bachelor, would you be able to apply to the U.S.? Since there bachelors take four years.
  7. Mar 5, 2010 #6
    Nobody cares about the length of the degree, it's all about the equivalency. If your two years bachelors is the same as ours, you can get into a masters program, if not you retake bachelors. My school doesn't allow 2nd degrees in the same thing as your first degree, so a lot of foreign students take a masters in their subject and are required to take lots of undergrad supplemental courses.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook