1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

American student looking at physics grad school in Canada

1. May 6, 2012 #1
    Hello, I am a student currently in my junior year that is starting to narrow down his graduate school search. I am primarily looking at Canadian schools for grad school at the moment, and I was just looking for some advice as to which schools would be the best ones for me to apply to. The schools I am looking at are McGill, U of Toronto, U of Manitoba, U of Alberta, U of British Columbia, and U of Victoria. As of now I'm considering experimental high energy and nuclear physics programs, and from looking at the universities' research pages I know that they all have programs in at least one if not both. If any of this information helps I am currently attending a small liberal arts university and pursuing a B.S. in Physics. My current GPA is a 3.832. Also, I have taken part in the summer research program in our Physics department last summer and will do so again this upcoming summer.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2012 #2

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

If you are considering graduate school in Canada in the sciences in general (and in physics in particular), the schools on your list with the best reputation for research are the University of Toronto, McGill University and the University of British Columbia (I'm a graduate of U of Toronto myself, but in statistics, as you can tell from my handle, although I do know a number of physics majors there). Alberta, Manitoba, and Victoria tend to have a stronger reputation for undergraduate education, as far as I'm aware of.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  4. May 7, 2012 #3
    More decimal places are needed to give an accurate response.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. Please forgive me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook