• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Amount of charge flowing through a resistor?

Amount of charge flowing through a resistor???

the current through a resistor is 3 mA. What charge will flow through it in 200 seconds?

if the resistor has a resistance of 2.0 kΩ what will be the power dissipated in it?

for the first one, i have no idea. i cant seem to find any formula that is relavent to this so im guess the answer is simple but im missing a vital piece of information that would link the dots.

for the second one i was thinking the power disippated in the resistor would be the same as the resistance, becuase the resistance is stopping anything above 2.0 V to enter the resistor?

any help is appriated, this is for my exam tomorrow.

Doc Al

Mentor
Re: Amount of charge flowing through a resistor???

for the first one, i have no idea. i cant seem to find any formula that is relavent to this so im guess the answer is simple but im missing a vital piece of information that would link the dots.
What's the definition of current?

for the second one i was thinking the power disippated in the resistor would be the same as the resistance, becuase the resistance is stopping anything above 2.0 V to enter the resistor?
No, power is not the same as resistance. But the power dissipated depends on the current and the resistance. (Look it up!)

What's the definition of current?
"Electrical current is a measure of the amount of electrical charge transferred per unit time. It represents the flow of electrons through a conductive material.
Current is a scalar quantity (though in circuit analysis, the direction of current is relevant). The SI unit of electrical current is the ampere, defined as 1 coulomb/second"

so its 600 coulombs

im still confused about power, i've tried looking it up but it doesnt make any sense, is it the same as voltage?

so V=IxR

meaning 3 mA x 2 kΩ giving me 6 Volts that are being dissapated in the resistor

Doc Al

Mentor

"Electrical current is a measure of the amount of electrical charge transferred per unit time. It represents the flow of electrons through a conductive material.
Current is a scalar quantity (though in circuit analysis, the direction of current is relevant). The SI unit of electrical current is the ampere, defined as 1 coulomb/second"
Current = Charge/Time, thus Charge = Current * Time.

so its 600 coulombs
Redo that calculation.

im still confused about power, i've tried looking it up but it doesnt make any sense, is it the same as voltage?
No. Read: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elepow.html#c2"

Last edited by a moderator:

Ok so, to find the charge in 200 seconds. I multiply 3mA by 200 because charge = current*time

Giving me 600A ??

And for the second part I use Power = voltage * current

So the power dissipated in the resistor = 600 (current) * 2 (resistance) is this wrong ?

Actually for the second part, I'm meant to use power = current squared * resistance. So I'd get 720,000

Doc Al

Mentor

Ok so, to find the charge in 200 seconds. I multiply 3mA by 200 because charge = current*time

Giving me 600A ??
Careful: mA means milli-Amps = 10-3 Amps

(And the charge would be in Coulombs, not Amps.)

Same issue with your power calculation.

Ok, cheers mate!