Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Amount of charge flowing through a resistor?

1. Aug 17, 2011 #1
    Amount of charge flowing through a resistor???

the current through a resistor is 3 mA. What charge will flow through it in 200 seconds?

if the resistor has a resistance of 2.0 kΩ what will be the power dissipated in it?

for the first one, i have no idea. i cant seem to find any formula that is relavent to this so im guess the answer is simple but im missing a vital piece of information that would link the dots.

for the second one i was thinking the power disippated in the resistor would be the same as the resistance, becuase the resistance is stopping anything above 2.0 V to enter the resistor?

any help is appriated, this is for my exam tomorrow.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Amount of charge flowing through a resistor???

What's the definition of current?

No, power is not the same as resistance. But the power dissipated depends on the current and the resistance. (Look it up!)

4. Aug 17, 2011 #3

"Electrical current is a measure of the amount of electrical charge transferred per unit time. It represents the flow of electrons through a conductive material.
    Current is a scalar quantity (though in circuit analysis, the direction of current is relevant). The SI unit of electrical current is the ampere, defined as 1 coulomb/second"

so its 600 coulombs

im still confused about power, i've tried looking it up but it doesnt make any sense, is it the same as voltage?

so V=IxR

meaning 3 mA x 2 kΩ giving me 6 Volts that are being dissapated in the resistor

5. Aug 17, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Current = Charge/Time, thus Charge = Current * Time.

Redo that calculation.

No. Read: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elepow.html#c2"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  6. Aug 17, 2011 #5

Ok so, to find the charge in 200 seconds. I multiply 3mA by 200 because charge = current*time

Giving me 600A ??

And for the second part I use Power = voltage * current

So the power dissipated in the resistor = 600 (current) * 2 (resistance) is this wrong ?

7. Aug 17, 2011 #6

Actually for the second part, I'm meant to use power = current squared * resistance. So I'd get 720,000

8. Aug 17, 2011 #7

Doc Al

Careful: mA means milli-Amps = 10-3 Amps

(And the charge would be in Coulombs, not Amps.)

Same issue with your power calculation.

9. Aug 17, 2011 #8

Ok, cheers mate!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook