Amount of math in materials science/engineering?

• Thread starter emyt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, in order to be proficient in materials science, you need to be proficient in calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and quantum mechanics.
emyt
Hi, I was just looking over the "course calendar" for a materials science/engineering program at the University of Toronto (http://www.artsandscience.utoronto.ca/ofr/calendar/prg_mse.htm [Broken]). I find it strange that there is only ONE required math course throughout all 4 years. I know that there is some physics involved with materials science, so how much math is generally "required" in this field? will there be algebra? the expectations only seem to be a course in calculus, but I'm pretty sure that I'll need more than that. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It might be different in Toronto, but at Cal Poly you have to take Calculus, Multivariable Calculus, and possibly Differential Equations. You normally have to complete college algebra before you can start the calculus series.

Legion81 said:
It might be different in Toronto, but at Cal Poly you have to take Calculus, Multivariable Calculus, and possibly Differential Equations. You normally have to complete college algebra before you can start the calculus series.

thanks. to clarify, by algebra, I meant linear algebra.. et c. I don't know "college algebra" is supposed to be but linear algebra is usually taken after or concurrently with calculus

Hello,
I am a materials science/engineering major (along with a double major in physics) at a major research university in the US. For MSE I had to take calc I, calc II, calc III (sometimes called multivariable), diff. eq., linear algebra and a stat class.

You need differential equations for things like solid state diffusion (you need it for all of physics really); you need calc III for stuff like thermo and magnetic properties; you need lin. alg. for analyzing crystal lattices as well as quantum mechanics which materials scientists DO NEED TO BE PROFICIENT WITH. And you need the others in order to learn the above subjects, they're the base.

I would encourage you to take as much math as possible; I would also encourage you to double major or minor in physics or chem. Every time I tell a mat sci prof my major, they say something to the effect of "I wish I had done something like that." Materials science is getting evermore fundamental. And physics or chemistry will give you an advantage.

I hope this helped (and was not overwhelming).

thanks, it was precisely the information I was looking for. I'm taking spivak-style calculus courses and a more theoretical linear algebra course right now. I really like it, but is it necessary? should I look at the more computational side of math rather than the proof/theoretical side of math? I've heard some people say "if you need calculus for physics, spivak isn't your book" - I'm thinking if this applies.

1. How much math is involved in materials science/engineering?

The amount of math required in materials science/engineering varies depending on the specific field and research focus. Generally, a strong foundation in calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and statistics is necessary for understanding and analyzing materials properties and behavior. Additionally, advanced courses in computational methods and numerical analysis are often used in materials research and development.

2. Do I need to be good at math to pursue a career in materials science/engineering?

While a strong aptitude for math is beneficial in materials science/engineering, it is not the only factor that determines success in the field. Other skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and hands-on laboratory experience are also important. With dedication and hard work, individuals can improve their math skills and succeed in a career in materials science/engineering.

3. Are there any specific math courses that are important for materials science/engineering?

In addition to the foundational math courses mentioned above, there are several specific math courses that are important for materials science/engineering. These include materials thermodynamics, materials kinetics, and materials properties and characterization. These courses focus on the mathematical principles and equations used to understand and predict the behavior of materials.

4. How is math used in materials science/engineering research?

Math is used extensively in materials science/engineering research to model and analyze the behavior of materials. This includes using mathematical equations to understand the relationship between material structure and properties, predicting material behavior under different conditions, and designing and optimizing new materials. Computational methods and simulations are also commonly used in materials research, requiring a strong foundation in math.

5. Is there a lot of math involved in practical applications of materials science/engineering?

In practical applications of materials science/engineering, there is often a significant amount of math involved. This includes calculating material properties, designing experiments, and analyzing data. Additionally, engineers and scientists must use mathematical models and simulations to develop new materials and improve existing ones for various applications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and healthcare.