Amount of work in displacing a brick

In summary, In my opinion, the work done to move a 2kg brick from the ground to its final position is 30J. I don’t think this is right. My reasoning is that the dimensions of the brick should not be taken into account when calculating the work done, because it is not a single point.
rudransh verma said:
Can I say because the gravity is conservative in nature so its work depends only on the initial and final points not the path taken by the COM?
Yes . To be a little bit more accurate it depends only on the potential energy of the initial and final position. That's why @caz instructed you to find the potential energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
As an exercise, write down an equation for the gravitational potential energy of the brick in your problem.
Hint: It involves a simple integral over the volume of the brick.
Hint2: How would you calculate the mass of the brick using a constant density and an integral? Think about why this works.

Delta2 said:
To be a little bit more accurate it depends only on the potential energy of the initial and final position.
I mean since the work is conservative in nature so W12=-W21 where W12 is the work from traveling from point 1 to 2. And any path taken by the body results in same W since in conservative forces W does not depend on distance but displacement of the body.

rudransh verma said:
I mean since the work is conservative in nature so W12=-W21 where W12 is the work from traveling from point 1 to 2. And any path taken by the body results in same W since in conservative forces W does not depend on distance but displacement of the body.
Be a bit careful on how you express yourself, I don't think I have heard the term conservative work but rather i have heard work of conservative force.

Also in conservative forces the work doesn't depend on the path but on the initial and starting positions. This is a consequence of the gradient theorem of vector calculus.

Likes rudransh verma
Where is this problem from? If it is from a book, include the edition.

caz said:
Where is this problem from? If it is from a book, include the edition.
It’s a book you will never find. So stick to my postings in future. (Narayans AIEEE crash course vol.1)😎

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes Steve4Physics and Delta2