1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem Involving work, velocity, given Graph

Tags:
  1. Nov 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An 8kg object is moving in the positive direction of an x axis. When it passes through x=0, a constant force directed along the axis begins to act on it. The figure gives it's kinetic energy K versus position z as it moves from x=00 to x=5.0 ; K(initial)= 30 . The forces continues to act. What is v when the object moves back through x=-3m?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the slope of the line, which is the force of the object: 30J/5m= 6N

(0,30J) is the y intercept so y=mx+b would yield the linear eq f(x)=6N(x)+ 30J

I plugged x=-3m into the equation to find the work at that point: f(-3)=6N(-3m)+ 30J
    W=12J

f(0)=30 J= initial work

W= .5m(vf)^2- 30J
    12J= .5(8kg)(vf)^2- 30J
    4J=4(vf)^2
    vf= 3.2 m/s

My answer was fairly close to the solution manual's (3.5m/s) but I'm still unsure if my reasoning was correct. Thanks so much in advance

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!
    Does your slope have the correct sign?
    Note that the graph represents the kinetic energy as a function of x, not the work. So, when you substitute a value for x into the linear equation, you get the kinetic energy at that value of x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted