Ampere's Law-cylindrical shell

• Thread starter Krikri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shell
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a conducting cylindrical shell with a given volume current density formula. The solution involves applying Ampere's Law and integrating to find the magnetic field at different points. The results show that for a region between the inner and outer radius, the magnetic field is proportional to 1/r, and for points outside the cylinder, it decreases with a ratio of 1/r. The conversation also includes a discussion about a mistake made in evaluating the magnetic field for one case.
Krikri

Homework Statement

A conducting cylindrical shell has it's axle on Ox axis, inner radius R1 and outer radius R2. If the volume current density is given by the formula [itex]\vec{j}[/itex](r)=J0[itex]\frac{r}{R1}[/itex][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] where J0 is a constant and r the distance from the cylinder's axle, calculate the magnetic field [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] : 1) Everywhere in space and 2) On the Oy. Oz axis in a position y>R2 and z>R2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using ampere's law we can easy say that for r<R1 the magnetic field is zero because there is no current passing through the amperian loop. For R1<r<R2 the region that the not uniform density takes place.
I draw an amperian loop of radius r. The whole point as i see it is to calculate the Ienc . So step by step what i did :

1) dI=J*da ,da=2πrdr so dI= [itex]\frac{2π}{R1}[/itex]j0 r2dr

2)so Ienc= [itex]\frac{2π}{R1}[/itex]j0 ∫r2dr from R1 to r.

3)so Ienc= [itex]\frac{2π}{3R1}[/itex]j0 (r3-R13)

4) Thus the amperes law gives ∫Bdl=μ0[itex]\frac{2π}{3R1}[/itex]j0 (r3-R13) and B2πr=μ0[itex]\frac{2π}{3R1}[/itex]j0 (r3-R13) so B=μ0[itex]\frac{2π}{3R1}[/itex]j0 [r2-(R13/r)]

5) For r>R2, outside the cylinder, the amperian loop will include the total current which the same as Ienc but for r=R2 so Itotal= [itex]\frac{2π}{3R1}[/itex]j0 (R23-R13)

6) And applying the ampere's law again into a loop radius r>R2 it gives B= (μ0j0/3r)[(R23/R1)-R12]

7) It seems that in the Oy,Oz axis the magnetic field is the same and outside the cylinder it decreases with a ratio 1/r. The magnetic field is doing loops around the cylinder and inside the area with the current in the [itex]\hat{φ}[/itex] direction.

I am not sure if what i did is correct and the conclusions i made. Can you comment please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Krikri said:

Homework Statement

A conducting cylindrical shell has it's axle on Ox axis, inner radius R1 and outer radius R2. If the volume current density is given by the formula [itex]\vec{j}[/itex](r)=J0[itex]\frac{r}{R1}[/itex][itex]\hat{i}[/itex] where J0 is a constant and r the distance from the cylinder's axle, calculate the magnetic field [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] : 1) Everywhere in space and 2) On the Oy. Oz axis in a position y>R2 and z>R2

The Attempt at a Solution

For R1<r<R2 the region that the not uniform density takes place.
I draw an amperian loop of radius r. The whole point as i see it is to calculate the Ienc . So step by step what i did :

1) dI=J*da ,da=2πrdr
Right.
so dI= [itex]\frac{2π}{R1}[/itex]j0 r2dr
Wrong. Why did you not integrate dI = 2 pi j r' dr' from R1 to r?

rude man said:
Right.

Wrong. Why did you not integrate dI = 2 pi j r' dr' from R1 to r?

I thought that if the current is in the green area, then the integration is from R1 o r.

Cylinder.jpg

EDIT: i saw it now. I did integrate from R1 to r..i forgot to put the 'd' in the r2..so it is dr2 in the first step

Last edited:
Krikri said:
I did integrate from R1 to r..i forgot to put the 'd' in the r2..so it is dr2 in the first step

Not sure I understand that.

Actually however, you did everything right in your original post except when it came to evaluating B for case 2 where you forgot to divide by 2 pi.

I'm sorry, your expressions fooled me for a while but they were mostly OK all along.

Last edited:
rude man said:
Not sure I understand that.

never mind that, it was a mistake i thought i did :)

rude man said:
Actually however, you did everything right in your original post except when it came to evaluating B for case 2 where you forgot to divide by 2 pi.

I'm sorry, your expressions fooled me for a while but they were mostly OK all along.

thanks for your reply you really helped me

1. What is Ampere's Law and how does it relate to a cylindrical shell?

Ampere's Law states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is directly proportional to the current passing through the loop. In the case of a cylindrical shell, Ampere's Law can be used to calculate the magnetic field inside or outside the shell, depending on the direction of the current and the distance from the shell.

2. Can Ampere's Law be used to calculate the magnetic field inside a hollow cylinder?

Yes, Ampere's Law can be used to calculate the magnetic field inside a hollow cylinder as long as the current is constant and the cylinder is infinitely long. In this case, the magnetic field will be constant throughout the cylinder and will follow the same pattern as a cylindrical shell.

3. How is Ampere's Law impacted by the thickness of the cylindrical shell?

The thickness of the cylindrical shell does not have a direct impact on Ampere's Law. As long as the current is constant and the shell is infinitely long, the magnetic field will follow the same pattern regardless of the thickness. However, if the thickness is not negligible, the magnetic field will be slightly different due to the distribution of current within the shell.

4. Does Ampere's Law only apply to cylindrical shells or can it be used for other shapes?

Ampere's Law can be applied to any closed loop, regardless of shape. However, in the case of other shapes, the calculation of the magnetic field may be more complex and may require different techniques.

5. What are the limitations of Ampere's Law when applied to a cylindrical shell?

Ampere's Law is based on ideal conditions, such as an infinitely long current and a constant current. In reality, these conditions may not be met, which can lead to inaccuracies in the calculation of the magnetic field. Additionally, Ampere's Law does not take into account the effects of changing electric fields and can only be used to calculate the magnetic field at a specific distance from the shell.