Amplify Current Output for Solenoid Valve?

In summary, the individual is looking for advice on how to amplify a current output for low cost. They want to use a pulse generator to actuate a solenoid valve, but are having trouble finding the right transistor. One suggestion is to use a small signal transistor like the PN2222A, along with a diode for protection.
jeremyR123
Hi,
Does anyone have advice for how I can amplify a current output for low cost.
Here are the details:
I'd like to use a pulse generator to actuate a solenoid valve. The pulse generator has a variable voltage output (0-20V), and a current output of 0.2 - 0.22 A.
The solenoid valve requires at least 12 V, and at least 0.32 A.

I first thought I might simply be able to use a transistor, but I'm having a difficult time finding the right one.
Does anyone know if this approach might work (and maybe able to recommend a transistor)?
Or have a suggestion for a better approach?

Thanks very much,
Jeremy

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the solenoid requires 0.3 amps, you might consider using a small signal transistor like the PN2222A which is rated to handle 0.6 amps.

Here is a possible schematic. The diode will protect the transistor from high voltage spikes coming from the solenoid when it is switched on/off.

http://www.vlearnvshare.com/home/images/articles/NPN-DRIVER1.GIF

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much! I'll give it a try.

Related to Amplify Current Output for Solenoid Valve?

1. What does it mean to "amplify current output"?

Amplifying current output refers to increasing the strength or magnitude of an electrical current that is passing through a circuit or device. This can be done using various types of amplifiers, such as operational amplifiers, to produce a larger output signal.

2. What are the benefits of amplifying current output?

Amplifying current output can have several benefits, including increasing the power of a signal, improving signal-to-noise ratio, and enabling long-distance transmission without significant loss of signal strength.

3. How is current output amplified?

Current output can be amplified using different types of amplifiers, such as voltage amplifiers, current-to-voltage converters, and current amplifiers. These amplifiers use transistors, diodes, and other electronic components to increase the strength of the current passing through them.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing an amplifier to amplify current output?

When selecting an amplifier to amplify current output, factors such as the required gain, bandwidth, input and output impedance, and power supply voltage must be taken into account. Additionally, the type of signal being amplified and the specific application must also be considered.

5. Are there any risks or limitations to amplifying current output?

Amplifying current output can introduce noise and distortion to the output signal, especially if the amplifier is not properly selected or designed. It is also important to consider the maximum output current and voltage ratings of the amplifier to avoid damaging the circuit or device being powered. Additionally, amplifiers can introduce heat and require proper cooling to avoid overheating.