Amplitude and Velocity of Component Waves

In summary, the equation y(x,t) = 2.0*sin (0.16x)cos (750t) describes a vibration of a string that is being affected by two waves with amplitudes of 1.0 cm and 0.16 cm, respectively. The distance between nodes is 3.0 cm. The velocity of a particle at the position x = 9.0 cm is 3.0 cm/sec.
Okazaki

Homework Statement

A string vibrates according to the equation y(x,t) = 2.0*sin (0.16x)cos (750t) , where x and y are in centimeters and t is in seconds. (a) What are the amplitude and velocity of the component waves whose superposition give rise to this vibration? (b) What is the distance between nodes? (c) What is the velocity of a particle of the string at the position x = 9.0 cm when 3 t 5 10− = × sec?

Homework Equations

y'(x,t) = [2ymsin(kx)]*cos(ωt)

The Attempt at a Solution

...I'm honestly not too sure here. See, I know that the equations match up so that:

2ym = 2.0 cm
ω = 750 Hz
k = 0.16m-1

But I'm not sure what to do with this. Does this mean that the original wave(s) that make up this new wave (so the component waves) both had an amplitude of 1.0 cm (and etc.)? Or am interpreting this horribly wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello there,

If y(x,t) is the superposition of component waves, it should be possible to write y(x,t) as a sum, right ?
Since y(x,t) looks like a standing wave (x and t "oscillate independently"),
it's probably a sum of something that moves in the +x direction and something that moves in the -x direction.

You need expressions for those traveling waves in the same terms as the standing wave.

BvU said:
Hello there,

If y(x,t) is the superposition of component waves, it should be possible to write y(x,t) as a sum, right ?
Since y(x,t) looks like a standing wave (x and t "oscillate independently"),
it's probably a sum of something that moves in the +x direction and something that moves in the -x direction.

You need expressions for those traveling waves in the same terms as the standing wave.

That's what I'm struggling with. I don't know how to find it when there's a phase constant.

What phase constant ? Are you mixing up with another thread ?

Check out how Two sine waves traveling in opposite directions create a standing wave at Penn State.
Also note that his y(x,t) looks a lot like the one in your exercise.
In fact I am afraid that's already an enormous giveaway.

I don't know at what level you need assistance: are you familiar with the wave equation ? Wavelength, relationships between v (or c), ##\lambda##, ##\omega##, f, k ?

Note that ##\omega## is not the same as the frequency: f = 750 Hz, but ##\omega## is something else and has a dimension of radians/s

BvU said:
What phase constant ? Are you mixing up with another thread ?

Check out how Two sine waves traveling in opposite directions create a standing wave at Penn State.
Also note that his y(x,t) looks a lot like the one in your exercise.
In fact I am afraid that's already an enormous giveaway.

I don't know at what level you need assistance: are you familiar with the wave equation ? Wavelength, relationships between v (or c), ##\lambda##, ##\omega##, f, k ?

Note that ##\omega## is not the same as the frequency: f = 750 Hz, but ##\omega## is something else and has a dimension of radians/s

Oh yes...it appears I am mixing up threads. Sorry about that. :/

Well, then I will have to wait patiently...
And before we continue you could perhaps improve on the
3 t 5 10− = × sec​
in the problem statement ?

1. What is amplitude and velocity in relation to component waves?

Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement or distance of a wave from its rest position, while velocity is the rate of change of displacement over time. In component waves, amplitude and velocity refer to the specific characteristics of individual waves that make up a larger, composite wave.

2. How are amplitude and velocity related in component waves?

In component waves, amplitude and velocity are directly proportional. This means that an increase in amplitude will result in an increase in velocity, and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the amplitude and velocity of component waves?

The amplitude and velocity of component waves are primarily affected by the properties of the medium through which the waves are traveling. These include the density, elasticity, and temperature of the medium.

4. How do changes in amplitude and velocity affect the overall composite wave?

Changes in amplitude and velocity of component waves can significantly impact the overall composite wave. For example, an increase in amplitude can result in a larger and more powerful composite wave, while a decrease in velocity can cause the composite wave to slow down or even dissipate.

5. Can the amplitude and velocity of component waves be controlled?

Yes, the amplitude and velocity of component waves can be controlled through various means such as changing the properties of the medium, manipulating the source of the waves, or using devices such as filters and amplifiers.