1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modulation Index Dilemma - DSB-LC AM Modulation

1. May 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A given DSB-LC AM transmitter develops an unmodulated power output of 1kW across a 50 ohm resistive load. When a sinusoidal test tone of 5V is applied to the input of the modulator, it is found that the spectral line for each sideband carrier in the magnitude spectrum is 40% of the output of the carrier line.

2. Relevant equations

The output signal of the modulator is (mA cos (w_mt) + A) cos (w_c t)
    Where m is the modulation index, A is the carrier amplitude and w_m is the modulating frequency and w_c is the carrier frequency

3. The attempt at a solution

The "40% of the output carrier line" corresponds to a modulation index (m) of 0.8. (which is in the solution - I am not interested in the solution here really).

But since the "unmodulated power output is 1 kW across a 50 ohm resistive load), it means that A = √ (2RP_c) = √(2*50*1000) = 316.67. (This is also indirectly in the solution)

If the carrier amplitude is 316 V, and the input is 5V, is the modulation index not 5/316 ? Is the modulation index not the ratio of the input amplitude to the carrier amplitude?

The questions that follow on this make perfect sense to me if I ignore the fact that the input is a 5V sinusoid

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And the question is .... ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted