Amplitude of equation of motion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
jimmy42
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I have worked out some force diagrams for forced oscillations and ended up with the solution as :

mx_double_dot+rx_dot+kx=Pcos(Ωt)

I am now asked to work out the amplitude. I know all of the variables except frequency(Ω). What equations can I use to find that?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]m\ddot{x}+r\dot{x}+kx=P\cos(\omega t)[/tex]
... to see how the amplitude behaves, you'll need to solve the equation.
The driving frequency is something you'd normally be given.

I don't see a damping term - what do you think is likely to happen to the amplitude of the oscillations?
 
I have worked out that this is a strongly dampered equation, so I expect the amplitude to die down quickly.

So, without frequency, this cannot be done? The question I have is to get the amplitude in order to solve the frequency between certain amplitudes. That last part can be done on the computer.