Amplitude of Sound Waves from Two Sources at a Point

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
e(ho0n3
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Amplitude of Sound Waves from Two Sources at a Point

Problem. Two sources, A and B, emit sound waves, in phase, each of wavelength [itex]\lambda[/itex] and amplitude [itex]D_M[/itex]. Consider a point P that is a distance [itex]r_A[/itex] from A and [itex]r_B[/itex] from B. Show that if [itex]r_A[/itex] and [itex]r_B[/itex] are nearly equal ([itex]r_A - r_B \ll r_A[/itex]). then the amplitude varies approximately with position as

[tex]\frac{2D_M}{r_A} \, \cos \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A - r_B)[/tex]

Let D(x, t) be the function that describes the displacement of the sound waves at some time t and a distance x from the source. I figure that the displacement at point P must be [itex]D(r_A, t) + D(r_B, t)[/itex] right? One thing I'm noticing is that the expression for the amplitude given in the problem statement does not vary with time. What gives?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If I look at the situation when t = 0, I get that the displacement at P is

[tex]D_M \sin kr_A + D_M \sin kr_B = 2D_M \sin \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A + r_B) \cos \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A - r_B)[/tex]

How in the world does the sine expression simplify to 1/rA?
 
This problem describes the double slit interference pattern at a point near the central maximum. The signal might vary with time, but per definition the amplitude is the maximum (minimum) strength of the resulting signal.
 
Last edited:
Interesting. However, I'm still puzzled as why the sine term simplifies to 1/rA.
 
I can get close :

The phase difference, [tex]\delta[/tex], between the two waves at the point P will be small under the stated conditions. Since the amplitude of the resultant at P is proportional to

[tex]\cos^2(\frac{\delta}{2})[/tex]

which under the stated conditions reduces to

[tex]\cos(\frac{\delta}{2})[/tex]

The phase difference at the point P is given by

[tex]\delta = k \Delta r[/tex]

with the wave number [tex]k = \frac{2 \pi}{\lambda}[/tex]. We therefore have that

[tex]\cos(\frac{\pi \Delta r}{\lambda})[/tex]

for the above mentioned.

I am very suspicious about the [tex]\frac{1}{r}[/tex] term in the given solution, since the dimension is then incorrect.
 
Last edited:
andrevdh said:
Since the amplitude of the resultant at P is proportional to

[tex]\cos^2(\frac{\delta}{2})[/tex]
How do you know that? Where did you get that expression from?

I am very suspicious about the [tex]\frac{1}{r}[/tex] term in the given solution, since the dimension is then incorrect.

You're right. Perhaps it is incorrect. I think we can safely ignore the 1/rA term.
 
It just hit me. The problem wants the maximum displacement, i.e. the amplitude at point P. The displacement at P is given by:

[tex]2D_M \cos \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A - r_B) \sin (\pi / \lambda (r_A + r_B) + \omega t)[/tex]

and the maximum displacement or amplitude is just

[tex]2D_M \cos \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A - r_B)[/tex]

Duh!
 
Last edited: