1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amplitude of Sound Waves from Two Sources at a Point

1. Apr 21, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Amplitude of Sound Waves from Two Sources at a Point

Problem. Two sources, A and B, emit sound waves, in phase, each of wavelength [itex]\lambda[/itex] and amplitude [itex]D_M[/itex]. Consider a point P that is a distance [itex]r_A[/itex] from A and [itex]r_B[/itex] from B. Show that if [itex]r_A[/itex] and [itex]r_B[/itex] are nearly equal ([itex]r_A - r_B \ll r_A[/itex]). then the amplitude varies approximately with position as

[tex]\frac{2D_M}{r_A} \, \cos \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A - r_B)[/tex]

Let D(x, t) be the function that describes the displacement of the sound waves at some time t and a distance x from the source. I figure that the displacement at point P must be [itex]D(r_A, t) + D(r_B, t)[/itex] right? One thing I'm noticing is that the expression for the amplitude given in the problem statement does not vary with time. What gives?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2007 #2
    If I look at the situation when t = 0, I get that the displacement at P is

[tex]D_M \sin kr_A + D_M \sin kr_B = 2D_M \sin \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A + r_B) \cos \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A - r_B)[/tex]

How in the world does the sine expression simplify to 1/rA?
  4. Apr 24, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

This problem describes the double slit interference pattern at a point near the central maximum. The signal might vary with time, but per definition the amplitude is the maximum (minimum) strength of the resulting signal.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  5. Apr 24, 2007 #4
    Interesting. However, I'm still puzzled as why the sine term simplifies to 1/rA.
  6. Apr 25, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

I can get close :

The phase difference, [tex]\delta[/tex], between the two waves at the point P will be small under the stated conditions. Since the amplitude of the resultant at P is proportional to

which under the stated conditions reduces to

The phase difference at the point P is given by

[tex]\delta = k \Delta r[/tex]

with the wave number [tex]k = \frac{2 \pi}{\lambda}[/tex]. We therefore have that

[tex]\cos(\frac{\pi \Delta r}{\lambda})[/tex]

for the above mentioned.

I am very suspicious about the [tex]\frac{1}{r}[/tex] term in the given solution, since the dimension is then incorrect.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  7. Apr 25, 2007 #6
    How do you know that? Where did you get that expression from?

You're right. Perhaps it is incorrect. I think we can safely ignore the 1/rA term.
  8. Apr 25, 2007 #7
    It just hit me. The problem wants the maximum displacement, i.e. the amplitude at point P. The displacement at P is given by:

[tex]2D_M \cos \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A - r_B) \sin (\pi / \lambda (r_A + r_B) + \omega t)[/tex]

and the maximum displacement or amplitude is just

[tex]2D_M \cos \frac{\pi}{\lambda} (r_A - r_B)[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?