Relative velocities of two particles in circular motion

In summary, the velocity of particle a relative to particle b is given by 2ωℓcosωt in the direction of the x-axis.
wifi
Problem:

Consider two particles a and b moving in opposite directions around a circle with angular speed ## \omega ##. At ## t = 0 ## they are both at the point ## \vec{r}=\ell \hat{j} ##. Find the velocity of a relative to b if the radius of the circular path traced out by the particles is ## \ell ##.

Solution:

WLOG, choose b to move counter-clockwise ## \Rightarrow \vec{r_b} = \ell (sin\omega t \ \hat{i} + cos\omega t \ \hat{j}) ##.

Therefore ## \vec{r_a} = \ell (sin(-\omega t) \ \hat{i} + cos(-\omega t) \ \hat{j}) = \ell (-sin\omega t \ \hat{i} + cos\omega t \ \hat{j}) ##.

Thus ## \vec{r_b} - \vec{r_a} = 2 \ell sin\omega t \ \hat{i} ## ; Hence ## \frac{d(\vec{r_b} - \vec{r_a})}{dt}= 2 \omega \ell cos\omega t \ \hat{i} ##.

Correct, yes?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi wifi! :wink:
wifi said:
Thus ## \vec{r_b} - \vec{r_a} = 2 \ell sin\omega t \ \hat{i} ## ; Hence ## \frac{d(\vec{r_b} - \vec{r_a})}{dt}= 2 \omega \ell cos\omega t \ \hat{i} ##.

Correct, yes?

yes :smile:

Thanks tiny-tim! :biggrin:

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the motion of an object along a circular path. The object's distance from a fixed point remains constant, but its direction changes constantly.

2. How do you calculate the relative velocity of two particles in circular motion?

The relative velocity of two particles in circular motion can be calculated using the formula Vrel = V1 - V2, where V1 and V2 are the velocities of the two particles.

3. Does the relative velocity of two particles in circular motion depend on their masses?

No, the relative velocity of two particles in circular motion does not depend on their masses. It only depends on their individual velocities and the direction of their motion.

4. Can the relative velocity of two particles in circular motion be negative?

Yes, the relative velocity of two particles in circular motion can be negative if the particles are moving in opposite directions along the same circular path.

5. How does the radius of the circular path affect the relative velocity of two particles in circular motion?

The radius of the circular path does not affect the relative velocity of two particles in circular motion. It only affects the speed of the particles, as the velocity is directly proportional to the radius of the circular path.