Amplitude of the velocity gradient

In summary: To calculate the norm, you can use one of the methods mentioned on the Wikipedia page. For example, you can use the Frobenius norm which is the square root of the sum of the squared elements in the matrix. In summary, the amplitude of the velocity gradient, also known as the gradient of the velocity vector, is a 3x3 matrix calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the velocity vector with respect to each coordinate (x, y, z). To obtain the magnitude of this matrix, you can use a norm, such as the Frobenius norm, which is the square root of the sum of the squared elements in the matrix.
CIMP
Dear all,

Someone could help me to understand how is mathermatically expressed the amplitude of the velocity gradient?

For example if vector of velocity is V(Ux,Vy,Wz)

The amplitude of the velocity gradient is? :

grad(V)= d/dx(Ux) +d/dy(Uy) + d/dz(Uz)

Is it fine?

Thanks in advance,

Indira

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

The velocity gradient is a 3*3 matrix, and if you are to express the magnitude of that, you'll need to use som sort of norm.

I can understand the usefulness of such a measure, for example to estimate the maximal effect of viscous forces. But I don't know what is conventional procedure here.

CIMP said:
Dear all,

Someone could help me to understand how is mathermatically expressed the amplitude of the velocity gradient?

For example if vector of velocity is V(Ux,Vy,Wz)

The amplitude of the velocity gradient is? :

grad(V)= d/dx(Ux) +d/dy(Uy) + d/dz(Uz)

Is it fine?

Thanks in advance,

Indira
What you have is NOT "grad V", it is "div V", [itex]\nabla\cdot V[/itex]

Thanks a lot for your reply. If I understood well, then the gradient of the velocity vector is going to be:

Be V the velocity vector V=(Ux,Vy,Wz)

Grad (V) = (d/dx Ux + d/dx Uy + d/dx Uz
d/dy Ux + d/dy Uy + d/dy Uz
d/dz Ux + d/dz Uy + d/dz Uz)

After this how can I get the magnitude of that?

Thanks for further input...

CI

No, it is not that either.

Letting i and j be indices running from 1 to three,
[tex]u_{1}=u, u_{2}=v, u_{3}=w, x_{1}=x,x_{2}=y, x_{3}=z[/tex]

The gradient of the velocity vector is the matrix [itex]a_{ij}[/itex], with elements:
[tex]\frac{\partial{u}_{i}}{\partial{x}_{j}}[/tex]

Dear Arildno,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Is the following fine:

Grad (u)= [d/dx1 U1 + d/dx2 U1 + d/dx3 U1

d/dx1 U2 + d/dx2 U2 + d/dx3 U2

d/dx1 U3 + d/dx2 U3 + d/dx3 U3]

After this step, I need to calculate the magnitude and finally to multiply the result by the symbol of kronecker. For the symbol of Kronecker I suppose that I should only have the trace of the matrix 3x3 written above, but for the magnitude I don't have any idea...

Thanks and best regards,

CI

No, it is not.
One of the most important reasons for that is that any NORM should have as basic property that if the norm of a vector/matrix difference equals zero, then this implies that the vectors/matrices in question are identical.

A simple sum of terms cannot achieve this.

You may look at the following page to look upon a few examples of norms commonly used for matrices:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_norm

I think that for the gradient of U, I should put each term of the matrix without sum as follows (I don't know how to put in LateX the brackets to the matrix):

Grad(U) = [d/dx1 U1 d/dx2 U1 d/dx3 U1

d/dx1 U2 d/dx2 U2 d/dx3 U2

d/dx1 U3 d/dx2 U3 d/dx3 U3]

I guess this part is Ok. Could you please confirm it ?

After that I should look the web page to see how can I get the NORM of that matrix.

Thanks a lot,

CI

Thanks a lot,

CI

Yes, that is how you should construct your matrix.

What is the amplitude of the velocity gradient?

The amplitude of the velocity gradient is a measure of the change in velocity over a given distance. It is often used to quantify the rate of deformation or strain in a fluid or solid material.

How is the amplitude of the velocity gradient calculated?

The amplitude of the velocity gradient is calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity vector with respect to the distance or time. In fluid mechanics, it is expressed as the difference in velocity between two points divided by the distance between those points.

What is the significance of the amplitude of the velocity gradient in fluid dynamics?

The amplitude of the velocity gradient is an important parameter in fluid dynamics as it provides information about the flow behavior and can be used to determine the type of flow (e.g. laminar or turbulent). It also plays a role in determining the forces and stresses acting on a fluid.

How does the amplitude of the velocity gradient affect the motion of particles in a fluid?

The amplitude of the velocity gradient influences the motion of particles in a fluid by creating shear forces that cause the particles to move and deform. This can result in mixing and dispersion of particles in the fluid, which is important in many industrial and environmental processes.

Can the amplitude of the velocity gradient be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the amplitude of the velocity gradient can be controlled and manipulated through various means such as changing the flow rate, viscosity, or geometry of the system. This is often done in industries such as chemical or food processing to achieve desired flow patterns and properties.