Amplitude with Feynman diagrams and gluon propagators

In summary, the relevant term for the calculus in this conversation is ##\bar u(p) \gamma^\nu v(p')##, and the mistake made was not taking into account the cancellation of the spinor products.
Aleolomorfo
Homework Statement
Let's check that the term with ##\frac{l_\alpha l_\beta}{k^2}## in the following amplitude:
$$ \bar u(p) (-ig_s\gamma^\alpha t^a) \frac{i}{\displaystyle{\not}p+\not k} (-i\gamma^\nu e Q_f) \frac{i}{\displaystyle{\not}p'-\not k} (-ig_s \gamma^\beta t^a) v(p') \frac{i}{k^2} \biggl(-g_{\alpha\beta} + \frac{k_\alpha k_\beta}{k^2}\biggr) (\bar u(p) (-ieQ_f \gamma^\nu) v(p'))^* $$
is zero.
The amplitude comes from the interference of the NLO @ QCD of ##e^+ e^- -> q \bar q##. I have attached the Feynman diagrams.
We consider everything massless.
Relevant Equations
##\displaystyle{\not}p u(p) = m u(p)##
If m = 0 ----> ##\displaystyle{\not}p u(p) = 0##
The term which is relevant for the calculus is:
$$ \bar u(p) \gamma^\alpha \frac{1}{\displaystyle{\not}p+\not k} \gamma^\nu \frac{1}{\displaystyle{\not}p'-\not k} \gamma^\beta v(p') \frac{k_\alpha k_\beta}{k^2} $$
$$ \bar u(p) \displaystyle{\not}k \frac{1}{\displaystyle{\not}p+\not k} \gamma^\nu \frac{1}{\displaystyle{\not}p'-\not k} \displaystyle{\not}k \space v(p') $$
$$ \bar u(p) (\displaystyle{\not}k + \displaystyle{\not}p - \displaystyle{\not}p) \frac{1}{\displaystyle{\not}p+\not k} \gamma^\nu \frac{1}{\displaystyle{\not}p'-\not k} (\displaystyle{\not}k + \displaystyle{\not}p' - \displaystyle{\not}p') v(p') $$
$$ \bar u(p) \biggl(1 - \frac{\displaystyle{\not}p} {\displaystyle{\not}p+\not k}\biggr) \gamma^\nu \biggl(-1 + \frac{\displaystyle{\not}p'} {\displaystyle{\not}p'+\not k}\biggr) v(p') $$
The terms with ##\displaystyle{\not}p'## and ##\displaystyle{\not}p## vanish because of the relations mentioned above and I do not get zero. Where is my mistake?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Feynman.pdf
    253.2 KB · Views: 299
Physics news on Phys.org
The mistake is that you are not taking into account the fact that the spinor products ##\bar{u}(p) v(p')## and ##\bar{u}(p') v(p)## are both zero. This means that the terms with ##\displaystyle{\not}p## and ##\displaystyle{\not}p'## do not in fact vanish, but rather cancel each other out. Therefore, the final result is:$$ \bar u(p) \gamma^\nu v(p') $$

1. What is the significance of amplitude in Feynman diagrams?

The amplitude in Feynman diagrams represents the probability amplitude for a specific quantum process to occur. It is a mathematical quantity that combines the effects of all possible paths or interactions between particles.

2. How are gluon propagators used in amplitude calculations?

Gluon propagators are used to describe the interactions between quarks and gluons in quantum chromodynamics (QCD). In amplitude calculations, they are represented as lines connecting the particles in Feynman diagrams and are used to calculate the probability amplitude for a specific process.

3. What is the role of Feynman diagrams in calculating amplitudes?

Feynman diagrams are a graphical representation of mathematical equations that describe the behavior of subatomic particles. They are used to visualize and calculate the probability amplitudes for different interactions between particles, including those involving gluon propagators.

4. How do Feynman diagrams and gluon propagators contribute to our understanding of the strong nuclear force?

Feynman diagrams and gluon propagators are essential tools in understanding the strong nuclear force, also known as the strong interaction. They allow us to calculate the probability amplitudes for the exchange of gluons between quarks, which is the mechanism responsible for the strong force that holds atomic nuclei together.

5. Are there any limitations to using Feynman diagrams and gluon propagators in amplitude calculations?

While Feynman diagrams and gluon propagators are powerful tools in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles, they have some limitations. For example, they do not take into account the effects of virtual particles, which can have a significant impact on the behavior of particles at the quantum level. Additionally, the calculations can become increasingly complex when dealing with more than three particles, making it challenging to accurately predict amplitudes in certain scenarios.