1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An accelerated iron Ion moving through a mass spectrometer's field

Tags:
  1. Jun 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sample of two different iron ions, Fe2+ and Fe3+, are accelerated by the same potential and then sent through the uniform magnetic field of a mass spectrometer.

a) Which ion moves faster after being accelerated?
    b) Which ion follows the path with the largest radius?

2. Relevant equations

a)
    Ek = 1/2mv^2
    v= sqrt|(2qV)/m|
    ??v= (qBr)/m??

b)
    Fc= (mv^2)/r
    r = sqrt|(m2V)/(qB)|

3. The attempt at a solution

a) Stated that Fe3+ had a stronger charge and a smaller (though negligibly) mass. Related this to the Ek and v= sqrt|(2qV)/m| equations in order to show that it would have a faster velocity. I think I'm alright here...

b) This is where I have trouble. My gut tells me that the Fe2+ should have the larger radius (when I picture the charge in my head it has a lower Ek and gets deflected more). However, relating the equations is confusing me as I keep getting tripped up by thinking that the larger charge of the Fe3+ ion will cause it to experience more force and thus a wider radius pushing it. Maybe I should be picturing it enter the field from over top? (i.e. (x) and not from the side -->). Also, I want to try and set up r(Fe+3)/r(Fe+2) = ???/??? but can't figure out which equation to use on the right side...

Help is very much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Equate centripetal force to the force of a moving charge in a magnetic field. What do you get?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted