An Accurate Simple Harmonic Oscillator Laboratory - Comments

In summary, the conversation discussed the benefits of incorporating mindfulness practices into daily routines. The participants highlighted how mindfulness can improve mental and physical well-being, reduce stress, and increase focus and productivity. They also emphasized the importance of finding a balance between work and self-care.
Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new blog post

An Accurate Simple Harmonic Oscillator Laboratory
Simple_Harmonic_Oscillator_Laboratory.png

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Attachments

• Simple_Harmonic_Oscillator_Laboratory.png
    Simple_Harmonic_Oscillator_Laboratory.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,135
Likes Charles Link and Greg Bernhardt
Science news on Phys.org
Requires students to be able to count to ten. Effectively unusable. :rolleyes:

Just kidding. Even today it is a good experiment. Including tracking software into education needs to be promoted more. Back in high-school I did a similar experiment with a wheel and a VCR to prove to my teacher that the height of a point on the perimiter as a function of time was a sinusoid, not a cycloid (that’s as a function of horizontal displacement). I still recall going frame by frame.

Likes berkeman and Dr. Courtney
Orodruin said:
Including tracking software into education needs to be promoted more. Back in high-school I did a similar experiment with a wheel and a VCR to prove to my teacher that the height of a point on the perimiter as a function of time was a sinusoid, not a cycloid (that’s as a function of horizontal displacement). I still recall going frame by frame.

Agreed. With some careful experimental design, getting accurate results with Tracker is just so easy with little more than a video camera and a computer.