An electron enters a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving an exercise involving an electron entering a magnetic field. The individual first imposed the equation "K = E" and substituted it into other equations to obtain the value of R. They also imposed Lorenz Force Law = Centripetal force and isolated v to obtain the equation "K= (1/2 ) F r". They then questioned the correctness of their answers and received confirmation from others.
Dominic90
Homework Statement
An electron, accelerated from rest by a potential difference ∆V, enters a magnetic field B, perpendicular to the lines of force. The electron therefore travels a circular trajectory of radius r. If ∆V is doubled and B halved, what will be the radius R, as a function of r, of the new trajectory?

The same electron is now in uniform circular motion of radius 26.1 𝜇𝑚 subject to a field uniform magnetic. The magnetic force acting on it has an intensity of 1.60 ∙ 10^(−17)𝑁.

Calculate the kinetic energy of the electron.
Relevant Equations
K = (1/2) mv²
E = q ∆V
r = m v / (|q|B)
F = |q|vB
Centripetal force = mv²/r
Hi, I tried to solve this exercise but I'm not sure about the process.

First of all, I imposed that "K = E":

so that "v = √ ( (2q ∆V)/m))"

then I replaced in "r = m v / (| q |B)", v with "√ ( (2q ∆V)/m))", and found out that R = (2√(2)) r.

Then for the second point,

I imposed Lorenz Force Law = Centripetal force and isolated v.

Then I substituted v in K
and obtained that "K= (1/2 ) F r".

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and hutchphd
Physics news on Phys.org
Title: “An electron enters a magnetic field”

Ah, I was expecting a joke.

Likes 2milehi, Dominic90 and hmmm27
+
Except the joke would have to start something like "an electron, a neutrino, and a muon enter a magnetic Field..."
By the way the OP looks good to me.

Likes Steve4Physics and Dominic90
Steve4Physics said:

... then charged out again. It wasn't very attractive and kept giving it the runaround.

Likes Steve4Physics, Dominic90 and hutchphd
@Dominic90, I also agree with your answers. (And sorry about Post #2.)

As a general point, maybe it helps to show the working, rather than just describe the 'process'. (This makes it easier to identify the source of mistakes, if there are any.)

For the second question, there is no need find v first. Note that K = ½mv² and F = mv²/r. You can easily combine these to show that K = ½Fr.

Likes Dominic90 and hutchphd
Steve4Physics said:

I was expecting something about grammar since this isn't my first language, but then I cracked up xD

Likes Steve4Physics

1. What is the effect of a magnetic field on an electron?

When an electron enters a magnetic field, it experiences a force perpendicular to both the direction of its motion and the direction of the magnetic field. This force causes the electron to move in a circular path.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the path of the electron?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the radius of the electron's circular path. A stronger magnetic field will result in a smaller radius, while a weaker magnetic field will result in a larger radius.

3. What is the direction of the force on the electron in a magnetic field?

The direction of the force on the electron is perpendicular to both the direction of its motion and the direction of the magnetic field. This means that the electron will experience a force that is constantly changing direction as it moves in a circular path.

4. How does the speed of the electron affect its path in a magnetic field?

The speed of the electron does not affect its path in a magnetic field, as long as it is moving at a constant speed. The force on the electron is dependent on its velocity, not its speed, so as long as the velocity remains constant, the path of the electron will also remain constant.

5. What is the significance of an electron entering a magnetic field?

The interaction between an electron and a magnetic field is important in many areas of science and technology. It is the basis for devices such as electric motors and generators, and is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI. Understanding the behavior of electrons in a magnetic field is crucial for many fields of research and application.