1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron enters uniform magnetic field and takes circular path

1. Apr 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A time t = 0 an electron enters a region of uniform magnetic field B = 0.010 T and has kinetic energy of 6.40E-16 J. It goes through a half-circle, exits the field and then accelerates across a gap with a potential difference of 2000 V, increasing in speed. It then hits a collecting cup. At what time t does it hit the cup?

2. Relevant equations
    Δt=(1/2)T=(1/2)(2πm/|q|B)
    x=v0t+(1/2)at2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can find the time to go through the half circle using the first equation above. It is 1.788E-9s. I need to find the time to get to the cup so I can add the two times up to get the total time.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2014 #2
    I have attached a diagram of the problem.

Attached Files:

4. Apr 24, 2014 #3

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

I think you need to find the radius of the circle using the force of the field on the electron. That will let you get the arc length.

Remember, B fields do no work.

Just out of curiosity, what is T in you're equation ?

One more thing, I don't believe you can solve this without knowing the size of the gap, or at least that it's negligbly small.

5. Apr 24, 2014 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

DOH! Should've read the diagram.

A) What is a Volt?
    B) How does a Volt relate to distance and time? (Hint* express a Volt in more fundamental units)

answer these 2 questions and I think you can handle this question.

6. Apr 24, 2014 #5
    The gap from when the electron leaves the B field to the cup is 25 cm, its in the diagram. T is the period. I don't think the radius and arc length are needed.

7. Apr 24, 2014 #6

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Yea I think your equation should work, but I'm sticking to what I said about expressing Volts in fundamental units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted