1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An electron in a magnetic field

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The acceleration of an electron in a magnetic field of 87 mT at a certain point is 1.268×1017 m/s2. Calculate the angle between the velocity and magnetic field.

2. Relevant equations
    F = q dot v cross B
    F = qBsin(theta)
    F/m = a

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the force on the electron using F/m = a rearranged to F = ma, then plugged F into F = qBsin(theta). I came up with sin-1(8243000) = theta, which is obviously incorrect.

Am I making a calculation error, or is there an error with my formulas?

In advance, any help is much appreciated and thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2
    There is a mild error in your formula, at least a bit. You know F = ma, you know the mass of the electron (it's a constant) and you know a since it's given. You also know F = qB sin([tex]\theta[/tex]) and you know B (given) and q, constant. So you get [tex]sin^{-1}(\frac{ma}{qB}) = \theta[/tex]

Make sense?

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3
    Hmm, that is what I have above, at least I think.

Because when you substitute F = ma into F = qBsin(theta), you end up with ma = qbSin(theta), which can be arranged to sin-1(ma/qb) = Theta.

The values I used:
    m = 9.1E-31 kg
    q = 1.609E-19 C
    B = 87E-3 T
    a = 1.268E17

I still end up calculating 8243000, and when I try to take the inverse sine of that I get a domain error.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  5. Mar 16, 2009 #4
    I get a very similar number for ma/(qb). Is it possible you have a or B written down incorrectly?

6. Mar 16, 2009 #5
    I just checked again, and those are the correct values for a and B.

7. Mar 16, 2009 #6
    OH! F = qvBsin([tex]\theta[\tex]). You missed the v which should account for the 107[\SUP] factor.

8. Mar 16, 2009 #7
    Ah alright, that does make sense then. How would I go about calculating the velocity though?

qvb = F
    F = ma
    qvb = ma
    v = 8243000

qvB/ma = sin(theta)

qvB/ma = 1, giving you theta = 90 degrees.

This unfortunately is incorrect.. =\

9. Mar 16, 2009 #8
    qvb = F? That's missing a sin(theta) isn't it, that would then explain how you get sin(theta) = 1.

I think there's an equation we're not looking at that we should be because otherwise we've two unknowns and only one question. Or perhaps velocity should be a given (which is how I see the question posed elsewhere online).

10. Mar 16, 2009 #9
    It mentions in an earlier part of the problem that the velocity is 9.40×106, however it doesn't specify if that remains constant throughout the problem.

Assuming for a moment that it does, lets try to plug that into the equation:

F = qvBsin(theta)
    F = 1.609E-19 * 9.40×106 * 87E-3 (I'm assuming 87 mT = 87 E-3 T)

And, assuming that I can use F = ma (which I'm not sure about)

I can substitute ma = 9.1E-31 * 1.268E17, divide that by qvB

End up with sin-1(.8769)
    = 61.27 deg

Which is the correct answer! Thanks a lot for your help, sorry I missed the velocity, probably would have helped from the beginning..

11. Mar 16, 2009 #10
    No worries; for all the online things I've worked with like that all the givens are constant unless stated otherwise.

Welcome, and good work!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook