An electron in a magnetic field

In summary: Assuming the velocity is constant throughout, you can plug that into the equation:F=qvBsin(theta)F=1.609E-19*9.40×106*87E-3=8.27E-21sin(theta)which is the correct answer.
dphysics

Homework Statement

The acceleration of an electron in a magnetic field of 87 mT at a certain point is 1.268×1017 m/s2. Calculate the angle between the velocity and magnetic field.

Homework Equations

F = q dot v cross B
F = qBsin(theta)
F/m = a

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the force on the electron using F/m = a rearranged to F = ma, then plugged F into F = qBsin(theta). I came up with sin-1(8243000) = theta, which is obviously incorrect.

Am I making a calculation error, or is there an error with my formulas?

In advance, any help is much appreciated and thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a mild error in your formula, at least a bit. You know F = ma, you know the mass of the electron (it's a constant) and you know a since it's given. You also know F = qB sin([tex]\theta[/tex]) and you know B (given) and q, constant. So you get [tex]sin^{-1}(\frac{ma}{qB}) = \theta[/tex]

Make sense?

Hmm, that is what I have above, at least I think.

Because when you substitute F = ma into F = qBsin(theta), you end up with ma = qbSin(theta), which can be arranged to sin-1(ma/qb) = Theta.

The values I used:
m = 9.1E-31 kg
q = 1.609E-19 C
B = 87E-3 T
a = 1.268E17

I still end up calculating 8243000, and when I try to take the inverse sine of that I get a domain error.

Last edited:
I get a very similar number for ma/(qb). Is it possible you have a or B written down incorrectly?

I just checked again, and those are the correct values for a and B.

OH! F = qvBsin([tex]\theta[\tex]). You missed the v which should account for the 107[\SUP] factor.

Ah alright, that does make sense then. How would I go about calculating the velocity though?

qvb = F
F = ma
qvb = ma
v = 8243000

qvB/ma = sin(theta)

qvB/ma = 1, giving you theta = 90 degrees.

This unfortunately is incorrect.. =\

qvb = F? That's missing a sin(theta) isn't it, that would then explain how you get sin(theta) = 1.

I think there's an equation we're not looking at that we should be because otherwise we've two unknowns and only one question. Or perhaps velocity should be a given (which is how I see the question posed elsewhere online).

It mentions in an earlier part of the problem that the velocity is 9.40×106, however it doesn't specify if that remains constant throughout the problem.

Assuming for a moment that it does, let's try to plug that into the equation:

F = qvBsin(theta)
F = 1.609E-19 * 9.40×106 * 87E-3 (I'm assuming 87 mT = 87 E-3 T)

And, assuming that I can use F = ma (which I'm not sure about)

I can substitute ma = 9.1E-31 * 1.268E17, divide that by qvB

End up with sin-1(.8769)
= 61.27 deg

Which is the correct answer! Thanks a lot for your help, sorry I missed the velocity, probably would have helped from the beginning..

No worries; for all the online things I've worked with like that all the givens are constant unless stated otherwise.

Welcome, and good work!

1. What is an electron in a magnetic field?

An electron in a magnetic field refers to the behavior of an electron when it is placed in the presence of a magnetic field. The electron will experience a force due to its charge and the magnetic field, causing it to move in a circular or helical path.

2. How does an electron behave in a magnetic field?

An electron in a magnetic field follows a curved path due to the Lorentz force, which is the force experienced by a charged particle in a magnetic field. The direction of the force is perpendicular to both the direction of the electron's motion and the magnetic field.

3. Why does an electron move in a circular path in a magnetic field?

The circular motion of an electron in a magnetic field is a result of the balance between the Lorentz force and the centripetal force. The Lorentz force acts as the centripetal force, pulling the electron towards the center of the circle.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect an electron's motion?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct impact on the radius of the electron's circular path. A stronger magnetic field will result in a smaller radius of the circular motion, while a weaker magnetic field will result in a larger radius.

5. What is the significance of an electron in a magnetic field in physics?

An electron in a magnetic field is a fundamental concept in physics and has various applications, such as in particle accelerators, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and the study of materials with magnetic properties. It also helps us understand the relationship between electricity and magnetism, which is crucial in the field of electromagnetism.