An electron is fired at a nonconducting infinite sheet

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving finding E to solve for σ in relation to motion representing kinetic energy. The speaker suggests that the field and potential for a uniformly charged sheet is a standard result and asks if the person has it in their notes. If not, they will have to derive it through an integration process. The other person admits to being lost and the speaker clarifies that they can only offer help, not teach the basics of electromagnetism. They also ask where the person is learning this from.
Mauve
Homework Statement
An electron initially 3.00 m from a nonconducting infinite sheet of uniformly distributed charge is fired toward the sheet. The electron has an initial speed of 420 m/s and travels along a line perpendicular to the sheet. When the electron has traveled 2.00 m, its velocity is instantaneously zero, and it then reverses its direction. What is the surface charge density on the sheet?
Relevant Equations
E = σ/(ε_0)
I've been thinking about this problem for some time now and think that I need to find E to solve for σ, but I have no idea how to go about that. How do I approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mauve said:
I've been thinking about this problem for some time now and think that I need to find E to solve for σ, but I have no idea how to go about that. How do I approach this problem?

Hint: motion represents kinetic energy.

That said, the field and potential for a uniformly charged sheet is a standard result. Are you sure you don't have it in your notes?

If not, you'll have to derive it through an integration process.

PeroK said:
Hint: motion represents kinetic energy.

That said, the field and potential for a uniformly charged sheet is a standard result. Are you sure you don't have it in your notes?

If not, you'll have to derive it through an integration process.

I'm sorry. I'm just unbelievably lost and don't know what you're talking about.

Mauve said:
I'm sorry. I'm just unbelievably lost and don't know what you're talking about.
Okay, but we can only help you on here. We can't teach you electromagnetism from the beginning.

Where are you learning this? At university or on your own?

1. What happens when an electron is fired at a nonconducting infinite sheet?

When an electron is fired at a nonconducting infinite sheet, it will either pass through the sheet or be reflected back depending on the angle of incidence and the energy of the electron. If the angle of incidence is perpendicular to the sheet, the electron will pass through. If the angle of incidence is at an angle, the electron will be reflected back.

2. Why does the angle of incidence affect the behavior of an electron fired at a nonconducting infinite sheet?

The angle of incidence affects the behavior of an electron because it determines the direction and strength of the electric field that the electron encounters as it approaches the sheet. This electric field is what causes the electron to either pass through or be reflected back.

3. What is the difference between a conducting and nonconducting infinite sheet?

A conducting infinite sheet allows charges to move freely across its surface, while a nonconducting infinite sheet does not allow charges to move. This means that a conducting sheet can redistribute charges and create an electric field, while a nonconducting sheet cannot.

4. Can an electron be fired at a nonconducting infinite sheet multiple times?

Yes, an electron can be fired at a nonconducting infinite sheet multiple times. However, the behavior of the electron will depend on its angle of incidence and energy each time it is fired. This means that the electron may pass through or be reflected back differently with each firing.

5. What other factors besides angle of incidence and electron energy can affect the behavior of an electron fired at a nonconducting infinite sheet?

Other factors that can affect the behavior of an electron include the distance between the electron and the sheet, the charge of the sheet, and any external electric or magnetic fields present. These factors can alter the strength and direction of the electric field that the electron encounters, ultimately affecting its behavior.