Deriving Lorentz Transformations for Moving Reference Frames

In summary, the problem involves determining the Lorentz transformation and relative velocity between three reference systems Σ, Σ', and Σ''. The system Σ' moves with velocity v1 along the x-axis, while Σ'' moves with velocity v2 along the x'-axis relative to Σ'. The solution involves deriving the transformation between Σ and Σ'' using the transformations between Σ and Σ', and Σ' and Σ''. The resulting expression for the relative velocity between Σ and Σ'' will then be compared to the value obtained from a non-relativistic calculation.
B4cklfip
Homework Statement
Consider three frames Σ (x, y, z, t), Σ' (x', y', z', t'), and Σ'' (x'', y'', z'', t'') whose x, y, and z axes are parallel at each point in time stay. Σ' moves relative to Σ with velocity v1 along the x-axis. The system Σ'' moves relative to Σ' with the velocity v2 along the x'-axis. Determine the Lorentz transformation and the relative velocity between the reference systems Σ and Σ''. Compare this speed with the value that would follow from the non-relativistic calculation.
Relevant Equations
-
Problem Statement: Consider three frames Σ (x, y, z, t), Σ' (x', y', z', t'), and Σ'' (x'', y'', z'', t'') whose x, y, and z axes are parallel at each point in time stay. Σ' moves relative to Σ with velocity v1 along the x-axis. The system Σ'' moves relative to Σ' with the velocity v2 along the x'-axis. Determine the Lorentz transformation and the relative velocity between the reference systems Σ and Σ''. Compare this speed with the value that would follow from the non-relativistic calculation.
Relevant Equations: -

Hello PhysicsForum,

until now i had not had any idea how to solve this problem.
Maybe someone can give me a hint or an approach how to get a solution. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you write out the transformation between the primed and double-primed systems, you will have a relation between the primed and double-primed coordinates. Similarly, for the transformation between the unprimed and primed systems. The rest should just be algebra.

I have tried to calculate it now...

This is my result. Could someone take a look and tell me if it is right please? :smile:

I think your calculation is OK. But, from the way that I interpret the problem statement, I think that they want you to derive the transformation between Σ and Σ'' starting with the transformation between Σ and Σ' and the transformation between Σ' and Σ''. This will lead to an expression for the velocity of Σ'' relative to Σ in terms of v1 and v2 given in the problem. The algebraic manipulations will be very similar to what you have done.

1. What is the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical formula used in the theory of special relativity to describe how time and space coordinates change when observed from different reference frames. It was developed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century.

2. Why is the Lorentz Transformation important?

The Lorentz Transformation is important because it helps to reconcile the seemingly contradictory concepts of time and space in the theory of special relativity. It explains how measurements of time and space can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference and is crucial for understanding the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

3. How does the Lorentz Transformation relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The Lorentz Transformation is an essential part of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It is used to calculate how time and space coordinates change between different inertial reference frames, which is a fundamental principle of special relativity.

4. Are there any practical applications of the Lorentz Transformation?

Yes, the Lorentz Transformation has numerous practical applications in modern physics and technology. It is used in particle accelerators, GPS systems, and nuclear energy. It is also essential for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and the effects of high-speed travel in space.

5. Can the Lorentz Transformation be simplified or visualized?

While the Lorentz Transformation can be challenging to understand and visualize, there are simplified versions and visual representations that can help. Some common visualizations include the "light clock" thought experiment and the "twin paradox" scenario. These simplified models can help to explain the concepts of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity.