An Exploration of Unified Theories

In summary, the conversation discusses the correlation between uniform circular motion, the color wheel, and the western music scale, and raises questions about mathematical correlations, lowest bass and highest treble points, and the relationship to quantum string theory. The conversation also touches on the properties of sound and light waves, and suggests reading a book on string theory.
freewanderer
I am starting this thread with an observation and three questions. I post this only as a starting point. I would appreciate any comment on the search for a unified theory. I am an amateur physicist at best, yet it often seems as though the scientific world over complicates the search for simplicity.

My observation:
There appears at first glance to be a correlation between uniform circular motion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Degree-Radian_Conversion.svg the color wheel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RGV_color_wheel_1908.png, and one octave of the western music scale(placed around the circle) when examining each layered on the other.

Question 1:
Is there a mathematical correlation which reveals itself upon examining the chart linked above, layered over a color wheel, layered over notes placed around a circle?

Question 2:
When notes are placed linear with bass to the left and treble to the right is there a point of "lowest bass" or "highest treble"? Also, When colors are placed linear with red to the left and blue to the right...?

I ask this as a visualization exercise, it is a question that leads into other questions like, what is the lowest bass you can find? What is the highest treble known? How far can something be red shifted? How far blue shifted?

Question 3:
After considering the first two questions, is there in turn a correlation to quantum string theory? A question that helps to answer this is, are strings intrinsically matter? Are strings intrinsically energy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
question 1
There is definitely a correlation between colors and musical notes, as they are both waves. Light is an electromagnetic wave, which means it is oscillating electric and magnetic fields. Sound is a wave as well, although in this case a longitudinal wave, not a transverse wave like light.
If you were to graph the amplitude of either wave, it would look periodic like a sine or cosine function.
In terms of Octaves, if middle C is an example of a wave with wavelength L, then the C above middle C would be a wave with wavelength L/2, or the C below would be a wave with wavelength 2L, meaning there isn't really a correlation in the way you were thinking of it I believe.
Visible light is just a small sample of what is called the electromagnetic spectrum. X-rays, and ultraviolet, and infrared are all also examples of this spectrum. Visible light is just what our eyes can detect, and it just happens to be what our sun happens to emit most of its light in, which from an evolutionary perspective makes very good sense. the red end of visible light is longer wavelength light, and the blue end of the spectrum is shorter wavelength light.

Question 2:
Theoretically there is no lowest bass or highest treble, as you could just have infinitely long, or infinitesimaly short waves, however that actually doesn't happen due to properties of the median in which sound waves propagate(air).
It is the same with light, although I am not sure if there is the same limits.

Question 3:
Sound waves is a very well understood phenomenon, and can be described with classical physics, where as light is a little bit more complex. In terms of quantum theory, wave theory is extremely important, but not the correlation you see.

I hope that answered some of your questions, and at least made a little sense.

sorry I meant mathematical correlation, on a graph, I made corrections

Last edited:
"Theoretically there is no lowest bass or highest treble, as you could just have infinitely long, or infinitesimaly short waves, however that actually doesn't happen due to properties of the median in which sound waves propagate(air)."

Can sound and water waves be on the same spectrum of sound, simply call the median in which they are propagated "matter"?

Sound waves are longitudinal and water waves are transverse. The median in which they propagate is matter.
What you seem to be interested in is string theory(I noticed you changed your original post) I would suggest you read a book called the elegant universe by Brian Greene.
Also What exactly do you mean by mathematical correlations on A graph.

What is the purpose of an exploration of unified theories?

The purpose of an exploration of unified theories is to understand the fundamental laws that govern the universe and to find a single theory that can explain all physical phenomena. This theory is often referred to as the "Theory of Everything."

What are the main theories that are being explored in a unified theories exploration?

The main theories that are being explored in a unified theories exploration include general relativity, which explains the laws of gravity and large-scale phenomena, and quantum mechanics, which explains the laws of subatomic particles and small-scale phenomena. Other theories such as string theory and loop quantum gravity are also being studied as potential candidates for a unified theory.

Why is finding a unified theory important?

Finding a unified theory is important because it would provide a complete understanding of the laws of the universe, and could potentially lead to breakthroughs in technology and our understanding of the world around us. It would also help to bridge the gap between the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics, which currently have conflicting principles.

What challenges are scientists facing in their exploration of unified theories?

One of the biggest challenges in exploring unified theories is the lack of experimental evidence. These theories often involve concepts and phenomena that are difficult to observe and test in a laboratory setting. Additionally, there are still many unanswered questions and unknowns in both general relativity and quantum mechanics, making it difficult to combine the two into a single theory.

What potential impact could a unified theory have on our understanding of the universe?

A unified theory could have a significant impact on our understanding of the universe by providing a complete and consistent framework for all physical laws and phenomena. It could also potentially lead to advancements in technology, such as faster space travel and more efficient energy production. Furthermore, it could help us answer some of the biggest questions about the universe, such as the origin of the universe and the existence of dark matter and dark energy.