1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An horizon broading course on Computer science

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is really a horizon broading, even music students and histroy students can take this course.
    So I think this HW problem is very simple, but it is too simple that I am afraid I will do it wrongly.

attachment.php?attachmentid=38762&stc=1&d=1315787980.png

2. Relevant equations
    My Dr. said we don't need to know the C++ or any other cmputer language to do this question and he tell us to searh what is the meaning of "trace" in order to do this question.

But I found it difficult to understand on the web(most of them contain computer language)

3. The attempt at a solution

My thought is that, substitute n=4 into the 3 statements, then it's done.
    But it contain 10 marks!! So I better ask it.

Attached Files:

• hw1.PNG
      hw1.PNG
      File size:
      30.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I would think you'd write a list--of each step as you execute it--until you can write "Finished!" Of course, you won't write the letter n each time, you'll write a numeral. :smile:

And if you are chasing marks, you might draw what the two towers look like after each move. :smile: :smile:

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3
    I have submitted the first attempt to my teacher and I got the following feedbacks.

However, I can't think of any extra steps before step 1.
    Can anyone help me?

Attached Files:

5. Sep 14, 2011 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I think you should find some coins of increasing diameter, mark 3 spots on the table as your towers, and work through this yourself. Don't be afraid to find practical ways to solve/simulate/investigate maths problems, often you'll discover where your "paper calculations" are going wrong, especially when you think YOU CAN'T POSSIBLE LEARN ANYTHING more by looking at practical methods.

After each and every move of a coin, sketch the 3 towers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook