1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An infinite square well problem

1. Oct 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Particle in well:

V(x)=0 for |x|<[itex]\frac{L}{2}[/itex]
    V(x)=∞ for |x|>[itex]\frac{L}{2}[/itex]

initial wave function [itex]\Psi[/itex](x,0)=[itex]\frac{1}{√L}[/itex][cos[itex]\frac{\pi*x}{L}[/itex]+ i*sin[itex]\frac{2*\pi*x}{L}[/itex]]

a) calc P(p,t) (momentum prob density)

2. Relevant equations

Anything from Griffiths QM

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm getting tripped out from the initial wave function. It is perfectly clear to me the process in which to solve for ψ(x,t) , given the initial wave function ψ(x,0); however, I'm not sure what to do in this case.

I know that, given ψ(x,0), we must do the following:

1)normalize [itex]\Psi(x,0)[/itex]
    2)compute the expansion coefficients (aka, c[itex]_{n}[/itex])
    3)compute E[itex]_{n}[/itex] and plug into the time dependent solution
    4)plug in c[itex]_{n}[/itex], Normalized "A" value, and E[itex]_{n}[/itex] into ψ(x,t)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2013 #2

king vitamin

Gold Member

If the initial wave function had been

$$ \Psi(x,0) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\pi x/L) $$

do you know what [itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex] would be?

4. Oct 28, 2013 #3
    If you're trying to see that I know how to do the most basic infinite square well problem , yes, and i've done it for various situations (shifted wells and whatnot)

[itex]\Psi[/itex](x,t)=c[itex]_{n}[/itex][itex]\frac{√2}{√L}[/itex]sin([itex]\frac{n\pi*x}{L}[/itex])(e[itex]^{\frac{-in^2\pi^{2}ht}{2mL^{2}}}[/itex])

where, in ψ(x,t), h = h-bar (didn't know how to find h-bar in latex)

was the plan to aid in clarification of the problem at hand once i prove that I'm not just looking for "answers" ?

5. Oct 28, 2013 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It's \hbar. :biggrin:

6. Oct 29, 2013 #5

king vitamin

Gold Member

I didn't have a "plan," I'm just trying to help based on info given to me. Given that you have no problem attaining [itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex], do you know the equation you use to find the momentum probability density? You mention expansion coefficients in your OP, but I'm not sure what expansion coefficients you're referring to (are they for momentum?).

7. Oct 29, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

So what's stopping you from doing these steps? It would help if you were a little more specific than saying you're "getting tripped out."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted