An Interesting Complex Number Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a complex number problem from the 2013 Panhellenic exams, where participants must prove that a given complex number falls within a certain range. The problem is considered difficult and not in line with the spirit of the exam. The conversation also includes a discussion about the difficulty of the exam as a whole, with concerns about completing all the required questions in the allotted time. The conversation ends with a comment about the avatar of one of the participants, which is an artist's concept of a newly discovered planet with a massive ring system.
Mkbul
Hey all.

I am giving Panhellenic exams this year, and part of my preparation comes from solving previous' years questions. This problem was a complex number based one, in the 2013 Panhellenic exams. It goes as follows:

Consider 3 complex numbers, α01 and α2 which belong in the line given by the following equation:
(α-2)(α'-2)+|α-2|=2 , where α∈ℂ and α' is α's conjugate

If complex number v satisfies the following expression:

v32v21v+α0=0 , Prove that:

|v|<4

It is said that it was the hardest complex number problem they ever put in the exam, and it was totally against exam "spirit". By the way the exams are done in the last year of Senior High School.

I really want to hear your opinions on the matter. Thanks for reading.
Michael.

EDIT: I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this question. I've been a member for quite a while now but i haven't visited in many years. I didn't post this problem here to get it solved. I just wanted people to discuss it and give their thoughts about the exams. If i broke any guidelines please move my thread, i didn't mean to cause harm.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is that hard. You have to find the points that satisfy the first equation, then the rest is a simple inequality in the real numbers. There is also a theorem that gives a slightly weaker (but still sufficient) result compared to the inequality.

mfb said:
I don't think it is that hard. You have to find the points that satisfy the first equation, then the rest is a simple inequality in the real numbers.

Thanks for the reply, mfb. I did the first step and solved the complex equation, and the points that satisfy it belong in a circle with center K(2,0) and radius r=1.
Unfortunately that was the easy part. The inequality is not in the real numbers but in the complex number system. V a0, a1 and a2 are all complex numbers. I will try to solve this one now.

What worries me is that this was only one exercise, and the exam had 4. The proof of the fundamental theorem of calculus, this one, and two calculus problems with fuction-integrals. It seems quite a lot to solve in 3 hours.

By the way, i love your avatar. Isn't this an artists concept of that newly discovered planet with a massive ring system?

Mkbul said:
Thanks for the reply, mfb. I did the first step and solved the complex equation, and the points that satisfy it belong in a circle with center K(2,0) and radius r=1.
Right.
Mkbul said:
Unfortunately that was the easy part. The inequality is not in the real numbers but in the complex number system. V a0, a1 and a2 are all complex numbers.
Sure, but it is sufficient to consider their magnitude. For large v, the first term is very large - |v3| is at least 64 in the region where you have to exclude zeros...
Mkbul said:
By the way, i love your avatar. Isn't this an artists concept of that newly discovered planet with a massive ring system?
Yes it is :). I scaled it a bit to fit.

Likes Mkbul

1. What is an interesting complex number problem?

An interesting complex number problem is a mathematical question or puzzle that involves the use of complex numbers. Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real part and an imaginary part, and are typically denoted by the letter "i". These numbers are used extensively in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science, and have many applications in real-world problems.

2. What makes complex numbers unique?

Complex numbers are unique because they have both a real and imaginary component, which allows them to represent numbers on a two-dimensional plane called the complex plane. This makes them useful for solving problems that involve both real and imaginary quantities, such as electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

3. What is an example of an interesting complex number problem?

An example of an interesting complex number problem is the Mandelbrot set. This is a mathematical set that is generated by repeatedly applying a simple equation to a complex number. The resulting set has intricate and complex patterns, and has been studied extensively in mathematics and computer science.

4. How are complex numbers used in real-life applications?

Complex numbers are used in many real-life applications, such as in electrical engineering for analyzing AC circuits, in physics for describing quantum states, and in computer science for signal processing and image compression. They also have applications in finance, where they are used to model the behavior of stock prices and other financial data.

5. Are there any practical benefits to studying complex numbers?

Yes, there are many practical benefits to studying complex numbers. These numbers have numerous applications in various fields, as mentioned earlier. Additionally, understanding complex numbers can also improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities, and can lead to a deeper understanding of mathematics and its applications in the real world.