An object with mass 5 kg is under constant force (10i+20j)N

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
vipson231
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
An object with mass 5 kg is under constant force (10i+20j)N...

Homework Statement



(Question is in the attachment)

For the question I used the equation F=ma= m Δ(Vf-vi)/t and plugged in 5 for m and for
velocity I put (vf -(-5+30)/10= (10i + 20j)N. My final equation was

(10i+20j)N= 5(vf-(-5+30)/10

This is as far as I got and I can't solve the question =(. Am i doing something wrong?
 
Attachments
  • WTHH.jpg
    WTHH.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 347
Physics news on Phys.org


vipson231 said:
(10i+20j)N= 5(vf-(-5i+30j)/10
This is as far as I got and I can't solve the question =(. Am i doing something wrong?

Vector [itex]\equiv[/itex] fun with a direction. :-p
(10i + 20j) = 5([itex]\vec{v}[/itex][itex]_{f}[/itex]-(-5i + 30j))/10

Simplify...
(10i + 20j) = (1/2)([itex]\vec{v}[/itex][itex]_{f}[/itex]-(-5i + 30j))

Multiply vectors by the scalar
(10i + 20j) = (0.5)[itex]\vec{v}[/itex][itex]_{f}[/itex]-(-[itex]\frac{5}{2}[/itex]i + 15j)

Adding the "scaled" initial velocity vector to the other side
(10i + 20j) + (-[itex]\frac{5}{2}[/itex]i + 15j) = (0.5)[itex]\vec{v}[/itex][itex]_{f}[/itex]

Add vectors by components
(7.5i + 35j) = (0.5)[itex]\vec{v}[/itex][itex]_{f}[/itex]

(15i + 70j) = [itex]\vec{v}[/itex][itex]_{f}[/itex]

That's the third answer I see on the attachment, so I might have done this right.