Laws of motion/vectors question?

• Thread starter ooohlala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, the problem involves a 10 kg block and two forces (10i + 20j) N and (6i - 8j) N acting on it. The resultant acceleration can be found by adding the horizontal components of the two forces to get (16i + 12j) N and then using F=ma to find the magnitude of the acceleration, which is proportional to the magnitude of the force. The final answer is not one of the given options (2, 3, 4, or 5).
ooohlala
1. Homework Statement

A 10 kg block is subjected to two forces (10i + 20j) N and (6i - 8j) N. The magnitude of the resultant acceleration is

(a) 2 (b) 3 (c) 4 (c) 5

2. Homework Equations

F=ma

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking maybe I should add the horizontal components to get the force acting horizontally, and then substitute that and the mass into F=ma to get 'a', but that way I get 1.6 m/s^2 which isn't even an option. Someone help, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the vertical components?

ehild

Yes, I don't know how I'm supposed to take them into account. I thought there's no need to. :S Tell me how to start?

ooohlala said:
Yes, I don't know how I'm supposed to take them into account. I thought there's no need to. :S Tell me how to start?

You have learned vector addition. The resultant of two vectors added is a new vector. All vectors have components. How do you get the components of the resultant vector?

ehild

By adding 10 to 6 and 20 to -8 to get (16i + 12j)?

Yes. Now you have F=ma. The acceleration is vector, and it points at the same direction as F. Therefore its magnitude is proportional to the magnitude of the force. You have to find the magnitude or the force first. How do you get the length (magnitude) of a vector?

ehild

Haha thank you, I got the answer. :)

ooohlala said:
Haha thank you, I got the answer. :)

Congratulation! :smile:

ehild

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How are vectors used in physics?

Vectors are used in physics to represent quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are essential in describing the motion and forces of objects in the physical world. Vectors can be added, subtracted, and multiplied to accurately depict complex physical phenomena.

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities have only magnitude, such as mass, time, and temperature. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Scalars are represented by a single number, while vectors are represented by a magnitude and direction.

4. How do you calculate the net force on an object?

The net force on an object is calculated by adding all the individual forces acting on the object. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity. If the net force is non-zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. Can vectors be negative?

Yes, vectors can be negative. The sign of a vector indicates its direction. A negative vector points in the opposite direction of a positive vector with the same magnitude. For example, a force acting in the negative x-direction has a negative x-component.