1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analitical solution for dy/dt=ay^3+by^2+cy+d

1. Jul 25, 2012 #1
    Dear all

I have to solve an equation which seems to be simple:

It is dy/dt=ay^3+by^2+cy+d but my problem is that I am not able to give the analitical solution y(t)=... And I need your help for that...

What I have already done is :

- I know that you have to find the solutions of ay^3+by^2+cy+d=0 (the coefficients allow me to say that three solutions exist and lead to y1, y2 and y3 as real solutions)

- Then one can write :
    dy/(ay^3+by^2+cy+d)=edy/(y-y1)+fdy/(y-y2)+gdy/(y-y3), with e, f, g easy to determine.

- Then you have to integrate on both sides of the equality : edy/(y-y1)+fdy/(y-y2)+gdy/(y-y3)=-dt

- which leads to something like that [(y-y1)^e][(y-y2)^f][(y-y3)^g]=exp(-t)

--> MY PROBLEM IS : do you know a way to express directly the analitical solution : y(t)=...? using this formulae, or by using a different integration method

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you will get ##e^{+t}## on the right. To get an explicit solution instead of an implicit one, you need to solve a cubic equation for ##y##. That can be done but except for special cases, it isn't pretty.

4. Jul 25, 2012 #3
    I think it's worst than that. He has:

[tex](y-y_1)^a(y-y_2)^b(y-y_3)^c=e^t[/tex]

No way you're getting a y out of there unless you're desperate and plot the data then invert the data and fit it to a nice-size polynomial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook