1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Solution of inhomogeneous ODE

1. Jan 26, 2016 #1
    I am having a little trouble with a problem I am trying to solve.

Given three particular solutions

Y1(x)= 1, Y2(x)= x and Y3(x)= x^2

Write down a general solution to the second order non homogeneous differential equation.

What I have done so far is to realise if Y1,2 and 3 are solutions then the difference of two of the solutions is a solution to the homogeneous equation. So I used Y3-Y1, Y3-Y2 and Y2-Y1 to give three separate homogeneous equations. At this point I am trying so solve for the coefficients a(x), b(x) and c(x) from

a(x)y'' + b(x)y' + c(x) y= 0

where y is the difference of two of the particular solutions.

However I can seem to solve this system effectively by equating like powers etc... I was hoping someone could offer some advise or even an alternative method. I have solved problems like this with only two solutions but the case was simple.

Regards
    Guy

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In future posts, please do not delete the homework template. Its use is required for homework questions.

4. Jan 26, 2016 #3
    Apologies I didnt realise it was necessary

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted