Analog (mechanical) pressure gauge for a single cylinder filter

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a manual espresso machine that requires 30 lbs of pressure and suggests using a kitchen scale to determine the correct pressure. The speaker also mentions the possibility of using a blood pressure monitor as an alternative pressure gauge. They then go on to discuss attaching a gauge to a cylinder and the potential methods for doing so. Finally, they mention the idea of a flexible handle with a pointer for measuring strain.
theycallmevirgo
TL;DR Summary
How can I put a pressure gauge on a metal cylinder while maintaining vacuum, using only a lathe and/or a bench drill?
https://www.flairespresso.com/product-page/flair-signature made a manual espresso machine and specify using 30 lb of pressure in the manual. In order to determine the correct pressure, they literally tell the user to push down on a kitchen scale. I'm considering a competing product, and that seemed like a rather obvious oversight. Surely there's an economical analog pressure gauge on the market that can be attached to the assembly? For instance, a cheap blood pressure monitor costs ~$35. Surely it's sufficiently accurate?

Now, the system I have in mind uses a cylinder that may or may not have pre-attached valves. Assuming even the predrilled valve is the right size, how do I attach such a gauge without compromising working pressure and volume? If there is no valve (a solid cylinder) do I have any way to attach one using only a lathe and/or drill press (ie no welding)?

Many thanks in advance

Joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Gauges are usually threaded. Adaptors are available for any thread. You could drill the metal, then cut a thread into the hole, or connect the gauge to an existing port.

Rather than measuring the strain in the handle for display, you could make a flexible handle with a pointer, like an indicating torque wrench.

It takes about 14.5 pounds to pull a vacuum in a one square inch cylinder, (atmospheric pressure). If you came up with a two square inch sealed cylinder you could push it down once to create the vacuum, then relax while the fixed 29 lbs pressed the coffee through the filter.

1. What is an analog pressure gauge for a single cylinder filter?

An analog pressure gauge for a single cylinder filter is a mechanical device that measures the pressure inside a single cylinder filter. It uses a spring-loaded mechanism to move a needle on a dial, indicating the pressure in units of pounds per square inch (psi).

2. How does an analog pressure gauge work?

An analog pressure gauge works by using a Bourdon tube, which is a curved, hollow metal tube that is connected to the filter. As the pressure inside the filter increases, the tube straightens out, causing the needle on the dial to move and indicate the pressure.

3. What are the advantages of using an analog pressure gauge for a single cylinder filter?

Analog pressure gauges are simple and easy to read, making them a popular choice for measuring pressure in industrial and mechanical applications. They also do not require any external power source, making them reliable and cost-effective.

4. How accurate is an analog pressure gauge for a single cylinder filter?

The accuracy of an analog pressure gauge depends on the quality of the gauge and its calibration. Generally, they have an accuracy of +/- 2% of the full scale, which is suitable for most applications. However, for more precise measurements, digital pressure gauges may be a better option.

5. How do I maintain and calibrate an analog pressure gauge for a single cylinder filter?

To ensure the accuracy of an analog pressure gauge, it is important to regularly calibrate it using a known pressure source. This can be done by adjusting the needle on the dial to match the known pressure. It is also important to keep the gauge clean and free from debris to prevent any interference with the readings.