Analysis: Derivatives, Rolle's Theorem

In summary: Ok, I see what you are saying. Finally. The only thing I can think of is to use Darboux's theorem. If f' is discontinuous at 0 then the discontinuity is essential, i.e. the limit x->0 f'(x) doesn't exist. That should make it hard for higher derivatives to be bounded. Seems a little much for a Rolle's theorem problem.
AlonsoMcLaren

Homework Statement

If f has a finite third derivative f''' on (a,b) and if f(a)=f'(a)=f(b)=f'(b)=0 prove that f'''(c)=0 for some c in (a,b)

Homework Equations

Rolle's Theorem: Assume f has a derivative (finite or infinite) at each point of an open interval (a,b) and assume that f is continuous at both endpoints a and b. If f(a)=f(b) there is at least one interior point c at which f'(c)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Because f is differentiable at a and b, f is continuous at a and b. Also, we have f(a)=f(b)=0

Therefore, use Rolle's theorem, there exists a<x<e such that f'(x)=0.

If we know that f' is continuous at a and b (I'M STUCK HERE), then we can conclude that there exists a<y<x such that f''(y)=0 and there exists x<z<b such that f''(z)=0. f''(y)=f''(z). Because f has a finite third derivative on (a,b) (If it is [a,b] then it's done...), f'' is continuous on (a,b) and therefore continuous at y and z. Therefore, by Rolle's theorem, there exists y<w<z such that f'''(w)=0..

So you know why I am stuck... Thank your for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
My thoughts so far go along the lines of (but I don't really know what I'm talking about):
f(a)=f(b) so at least one f'(c)=0 on the closed interval [a,b].
But also f'(a)=f'(b)=0 so we have at least 3 turning points in f'(x) in (a,b).
Therefore need at least 2 turning points in f''(x) in (a,b)
Then at least 1 turning point in f'''(x) in (a,b), which is almost the answer.

superg33k said:
My thoughts so far go along the lines of (but I don't really know what I'm talking about):
f(a)=f(b) so at least one f'(c)=0 on the closed interval [a,b].
But also f'(a)=f'(b)=0 so we have at least 3 turning points in f'(x) in (a,b).
Therefore need at least 2 turning points in f''(x) in (a,b)
Then at least 1 turning point in f'''(x) in (a,b), which is almost the answer.

By which theorem?

AlonsoMcLaren said:
By which theorem?

Mean Value Theorem. superg33k is saying you can show, as you have, that there is a c such that a<c<b such that f'(a)=f'(b)=f'(c)=0. What does that tell you about f'' on (a,c) and (c,b)? What does that tell you about f'''?

Dick said:
What does that tell you about f'' on (a,c) and (c,b)?

It tells me nothing as f' is not guaranteed to be continuous at a and b so I cannot apply Mean Value Theorem or Rolle's Theorem. Please read my original post.

AlonsoMcLaren said:
It tells me nothing as f' is not guaranteed to be continuous at a and b so I cannot apply Mean Value Theorem or Rolle's Theorem. Please read my original post.

If a function is differentiable at a point then it's automatically continuous at that point. You can prove that by looking at the difference quotient.

Dick said:
If a function is differentiable at a point then it's automatically continuous at that point. You can prove that by looking at the difference quotient.

But we do not know that f' (NOT f) is differentiable at a and b.

AlonsoMcLaren said:
But we do not know that f' (NOT f) is differentiable at a and b.

Ok, I see what you are saying. Finally. The only thing I can think of is to use Darboux's theorem. If f' is discontinuous at 0 then the discontinuity is essential, i.e. the limit x->0 f'(x) doesn't exist. That should make it hard for higher derivatives to be bounded. Seems a little much for a Rolle's theorem problem.

1. What are derivatives in calculus?

Derivatives are a mathematical concept in calculus that represent the rate of change of a function at a specific point. They are used to calculate instantaneous rates of change, such as velocity or acceleration, and are also used to find the slope of a tangent line to a curve at a given point.

2. What is the purpose of using derivatives in analysis?

The main purpose of using derivatives in analysis is to help us understand the behavior of functions and their rates of change. They can be used to find maximum and minimum values of a function, determine the concavity of a curve, and solve optimization problems.

3. What is Rolle's Theorem and how is it used in analysis?

Rolle's Theorem is a fundamental theorem of calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, and the function's values at the endpoints of the interval are equal, then there exists at least one point within the interval where the derivative of the function is equal to zero. It is often used to prove the existence of critical points and to solve optimization problems.

4. Can Rolle's Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, Rolle's Theorem can only be applied to differentiable functions on a closed interval. If the function is not differentiable or the interval is not closed, then the theorem cannot be applied. Additionally, if the function's values at the endpoints of the interval are not equal, then the theorem does not hold.

5. How is Rolle's Theorem related to other calculus concepts?

Rolle's Theorem is closely related to the Mean Value Theorem, which states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point within the interval where the derivative of the function is equal to the average rate of change of the function on the interval. The Mean Value Theorem is a generalization of Rolle's Theorem and is often used in conjunction with it in calculus and analysis problems.