1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis: Derivatives, Rolle's Theorem

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If f has a finite third derivative f''' on (a,b) and if f(a)=f'(a)=f(b)=f'(b)=0 prove that f'''(c)=0 for some c in (a,b)

2. Relevant equations

Rolle's Theorem: Assume f has a derivative (finite or infinite) at each point of an open interval (a,b) and assume that f is continuous at both endpoints a and b. If f(a)=f(b) there is at least one interior point c at which f'(c)=0

3. The attempt at a solution

Because f is differentiable at a and b, f is continuous at a and b. Also, we have f(a)=f(b)=0

Therefore, use Rolle's theorem, there exists a<x<e such that f'(x)=0.

If we know that f' is continuous at a and b (I'M STUCK HERE), then we can conclude that there exists a<y<x such that f''(y)=0 and there exists x<z<b such that f''(z)=0. f''(y)=f''(z). Because f has a finite third derivative on (a,b) (If it is [a,b] then it's done....), f'' is continuous on (a,b) and therefore continuous at y and z. Therefore, by Rolle's theorem, there exists y<w<z such that f'''(w)=0..

So you know why I am stuck.... Thank your for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2
    My thoughts so far go along the lines of (but I don't really know what I'm talking about):
    f(a)=f(b) so at least one f'(c)=0 on the closed interval [a,b].
    But also f'(a)=f'(b)=0 so we have at least 3 turning points in f'(x) in (a,b).
    Therefore need at least 2 turning points in f''(x) in (a,b)
    Then at least 1 turning point in f'''(x) in (a,b), which is almost the answer.

4. Nov 6, 2012 #3
    By which theorem?

5. Nov 6, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mean Value Theorem. superg33k is saying you can show, as you have, that there is a c such that a<c<b such that f'(a)=f'(b)=f'(c)=0. What does that tell you about f'' on (a,c) and (c,b)? What does that tell you about f'''?

6. Nov 7, 2012 #5
    It tells me nothing as f' is not guaranteed to be continuous at a and b so I cannot apply Mean Value Theorem or Rolle's Theorem. Please read my original post.

7. Nov 7, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If a function is differentiable at a point then it's automatically continuous at that point. You can prove that by looking at the difference quotient.

8. Nov 8, 2012 #7
    But we do not know that f' (NOT f) is differentiable at a and b.

9. Nov 8, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, I see what you are saying. Finally. The only thing I can think of is to use Darboux's theorem. If f' is discontinuous at 0 then the discontinuity is essential, i.e. the limit x->0 f'(x) doesn't exist. That should make it hard for higher derivatives to be bounded. Seems a little much for a Rolle's theorem problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook