1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis- if f assumes max/min for x in (a,b) prove f'(x) = 0

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1

i need to prove:
    if a differentiable function f:(a,b) ----> R (reals) assumes a max or a min at some x element of (a,b), prove that f'(x) = 0. why is this assertion false when [a,b] replaces (a,b)?

-I'm stumped at where to start...because if i knew that f was continuous on [a,b] and f(a) = f(b), this would be Rolle's thm...which i think i could prove...

-or if f(a) did not equal f(b), then maybe i could get somewhere by mean value thm... (that is, if f was cont on [a,b])

-BUT i dont know that f is cont on [a,b]...

-the only thing i know given what I have is that since f is differentiable on (a,b) then its derivative f'(x) has the intermediate value property....can this get me anywhere?

-any help on how to get started on this proof would be greatly appreciated! thanks for reading through my lengthy post! :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

I don't understand the question. Are you saying that there is some x such that f(x)<=f(y) for all y in (a,b) (or >=). This does not imply f is constant. Just take f(x)=x^2 on (-1,1). Rather than try to guess what you mean, I'll let you clarify it.
  4. Nov 14, 2006 #3
    no, the question does not say that f(x)<=f(y) (or vice versa.) what is typed between the two lines is the exact question from my text. thanks!
  5. Nov 14, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

I'm sorry, I thought it meant f'(x)=0 for all x in (a,b), I didn't see x was the element where the max or min occurred. Then you can just use the definition of the derivative. You can show the left limit must be >=0 and the right must be <=0 (or the other way around, depending on if it's a max or a min), and so since these limits must be equal, they must be 0.
  6. Nov 14, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Differentiable is stronger than continuous. (i.e. for a function to be differentiable, it must also be continuous.)

You might consider a nice simple example, like:
  7. Nov 14, 2006 #6
    oh! this is very clear now. thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?