Analysis of an L-R-C Series Circuit

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
sully677
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An L-R-C series circuit is constructed using a 175{ \Omega} resistor, a 12.5uF capacitor, and an 8.00 mH} inductor, all connected across an ac source having a variable frequency and a voltage amplitude of 25.0V

At the angular frequency in part A, find the potential difference across the ac source, the resistor, the capacitor, and the inductor at the instant that the current is equal to one-half its greatest positive value.


Homework Equations



V=IZ



The Attempt at a Solution



I found the voltage for all of them and divided by 2 since the current is half, but I can't get the right answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sully677 said:

Homework Statement


An L-R-C series circuit is constructed using a 175{ \Omega} resistor, a 12.5uF capacitor, and an 8.00 mH} inductor, all connected across an ac source having a variable frequency and a voltage amplitude of 25.0V

At the angular frequency in part A, find the potential difference across the ac source, the resistor, the capacitor, and the inductor at the instant that the current is equal to one-half its greatest positive value.


Homework Equations



V=IZ



The Attempt at a Solution



I found the voltage for all of them and divided by 2 since the current is half, but I can't get the right answer.
You are incorrectly assuming that the voltage and current are in phase. You have to determine the phase angle between voltage and current.

AM
 
okay. so once the phase angle is solved for, where do you go?
 
sully677 said:
okay. so once the phase angle is solved for, where do you go?
Use expressions for V and I as a function of time eg.:


[tex]I = I_0\sin{(\omega t)}[/tex]

[tex]V = V_0\sin{(\omega t + \phi)}[/tex]

What is the relationship between V0 and I0? What is the value for [itex]\omega t[/itex] when I = .5I0?

AM