Analysis of RLC Circuit v(t): Find Voltage with Ohm's Law

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
cheapcheat64
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
http://imgur.com/hAzf2zP
RLC ciruit quiz.PNG
So I found the circuit is series, w0 and a0 equal 20 so it is critically dampened. For V(inf) I used current divider to get the equation (.1 A *120 ohm)/40 ohm = .3 A. Then I used ohms law to find v(t) = .3*120 = 36 V.

I then wrote down the circuit at t<0, t>0, and t=inf. I am stuck at this point.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
so t<0 will give you your initial conditions
t inf will give you your steady state value.
T>0 will give you the differential equation that you are looking for.

write out the differential equation first and solve it, either in time or frequency domains
 
Your V(inf) calculation is wrong. Substitute the two resistors to the right and the current source with a Thevenin equivalent: 40Ω in series with a 4V voltage source.
So V(inf) = 4V.

The current through the switch, I(0-) will be (4V - (-6V) ) / ( 40Ω + 40Ω ) = 0.125A (from right to left ).

So V(0-) = -6V + 0.125A*40Ω = -1V.