1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Question, I posted yesterday!

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Analysis Question, I posted yesterday!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Define f(x)=2x, x is rational and x+3 when x is irrational. Find all points where g(x) is continuous and prove continuity at these points

2. Relevant equations
    From analysis homework and using the real definition of continuity

3. The attempt at a solution
    what I did was I took the limit as x approached 3 of x+3, and found for 0<|x+3|<epsilon which will equal delta, then |X+3-6|=|x-3| which is less than epsilon. So then I know that the limit of the function =the limit of f(3) so therefore continuous at x=3. Is there anymore that I need?
    Thanks,
    Michelle

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Any more? What you've done is not correct because the function you are dealing with is not x+3! You say nothing about why you are interested in
    x= 3; could it possibly be because you have decided the function is only continuous at x= 3? It would have been a good idea to start by saying that and saying why you think that. As long as x is irrational and [itex]|x-3|< \epsilon[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)- 6|= |x+3-6|= |x-3|< \epsilon[/itex]. If x is rational then |f(x)- 6|= |2x- 6|= 2|x-3|. In order to make that less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex] how small must |x-3| be? How can you make sure both of those are true.

And what about if x is not equal to 3? If f were continuous at x= a then the limit would be f(a). That, in turn, would mean that the limit of any sequence {f(xn)}, where xn converges to a, would have to be f(a). Suppose xn were a sequence of rational numbers converging to a- what would {f(xn)} converge to? Suppose xn were a sequence of irrational numbers converging to a- what would {f(xn)} converge to? What does that tell you?

4. Mar 23, 2008 #3
    Both of these lines will intersect at the point (3,6), and you would have to make epsilon= e/2 to satisfy both functions when x is either rational or irrational.

5. Mar 23, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Michelle! :smile:

This very unclear …

For a start, you meant 0<|x-3|<epsilon.

And I know you meant "in this case we can choose our delta equal to epsilon", but there are better ways of saying that.
    hmm … a bit late …

Try writing it out, all in one go, and clearly! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?