Analysis Question-Schwarz Derivative

In summary: So, we have shown that, while f is not differentiable at c=0, it is Schwarz differentiable. So, f is not Schwarz differentiable at c=0 => f is not differentiable at c=0.
maethaddict

Homework Statement

Def. f is Schwarz Differentiable at a pt c in its domain if

lim(h->0) [f(c+h)-f(c-h)]/2h exists as a finite limit.

1.)Prove or disprove: f is differentiable at c => f is Schwarz Differentiable at c
2.)Prove or disprove: f is Schwarz Differentiable at c => f is differentiable at c

Homework Equations

a function f is differentiable at c if lim(x->c) [f(x)-f(c)]/[x-c] exists

The Attempt at a Solution

My suspicion, from picturing each derivative, is that 1 is true and 2 is false. To prove 1, I've tried to set h=|x-c| and evaluate the derivative for x>c, and x<c and then use some linear combination of those limits to derive the schwarzian derivative, but I keep running into problems with extra terms.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]f'(c) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{f(c + h) - f(c)}{h} = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{f(c - h) - f(c)}{-h} = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{f(c) - f(c + h) }{h}[/tex]

Big Help. Thank you snipez but, as the third part of the equality, did you mean to write f(c-h) instead of f(c+h)? As in

f'(c)=~=~=lim(h->0)[f(c)-f(c-h)]/h ?

I believe that's correct, and gives me what I need to proceed to part 1.

For part two I'm trying to think of a function that will provide me with a counterexample. Maybe f=|x| a x=0?

Last edited:
maethaddict said:
Big Help. Thank you snipez but, as the third part of the equality, did you mean to write f(c-h) instead of f(c+h)? As in

f'(c)=~=~=lim(h->0)[f(c)-f(c-h)]/h ?

I believe that's correct, and gives me what I need to proceed to part 1.

For part two I'm trying to think of a function that will provide me with a counterexample. Maybe f=|x| a x=0?

If you think that's a good counterexample, why don't you show us why it is?

Sorry, I still had some figuring to do on my own.

Clearly, for f=|x|, f is not differentiable at c=0.

However, fs(c)=lim(h->0)[f(c+h)-f(c-h)]/2h=0, as |x| is symmetric about the y-axis. That is, f(c+h)-f(c-h) is always zero.

Seems right to me. What do you think?

I think that's excellent.

(I would write it specifically as fs(0)= lim(h->0) (|h|- |-h|)/2h= 0, however.)

What is the Schwarz Derivative?

The Schwarz Derivative, also known as the Cauchy-Riemann derivative, is a mathematical concept used in complex analysis. It is a way of determining the rate of change of a complex-valued function in a particular direction.

How is the Schwarz Derivative different from other derivatives?

The Schwarz Derivative is unique because it only applies to complex-valued functions, whereas other derivatives, such as the ordinary derivative, can be applied to real-valued functions as well.

What is the significance of the Schwarz Derivative?

The Schwarz Derivative is significant because it allows us to determine whether a complex-valued function is analytic, meaning it can be represented by a power series. This is important in understanding the behavior of complex functions and their properties.

How do you calculate the Schwarz Derivative?

The Schwarz Derivative is calculated using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which relate the partial derivatives of a complex-valued function to its Schwarz Derivative. These equations are based on the idea that a function is analytic if it satisfies certain conditions, including the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

What are some applications of the Schwarz Derivative?

The Schwarz Derivative has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to study complex functions, such as in the field of complex analysis, and has applications in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and signal processing. It is also used in the study of conformal mappings, which have applications in cartography and computer graphics.