1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Question-Schwarz Derivative

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Def. f is Schwarz Differentiable at a pt c in its domain if

lim(h->0) [f(c+h)-f(c-h)]/2h exists as a finite limit.

1.)Prove or disprove: f is differentiable at c => f is Schwarz Differentiable at c
    2.)Prove or disprove: f is Schwarz Differentiable at c => f is differentiable at c

2. Relevant equations

a function f is differentiable at c if lim(x->c) [f(x)-f(c)]/[x-c] exists

3. The attempt at a solution

My suspicion, from picturing each derivative, is that 1 is true and 2 is false. To prove 1, I've tried to set h=|x-c| and evaluate the derivative for x>c, and x<c and then use some linear combination of those limits to derive the schwarzian derivative, but I keep running into problems with extra terms.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2
    [tex]f'(c) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{f(c + h) - f(c)}{h} = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{f(c - h) - f(c)}{-h} = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{f(c) - f(c + h) }{h}[/tex]

4. Nov 21, 2009 #3
    Big Help. Thank you snipez but, as the third part of the equality, did you mean to write f(c-h) instead of f(c+h)? As in

f'(c)=~=~=lim(h->0)[f(c)-f(c-h)]/h ?

I believe that's correct, and gives me what I need to proceed to part 1.

For part two I'm trying to think of a function that will provide me with a counterexample. Maybe f=|x| a x=0?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  5. Nov 21, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you think that's a good counterexample, why don't you show us why it is?

6. Nov 21, 2009 #5
    Sorry, I still had some figuring to do on my own.

Clearly, for f=|x|, f is not differentiable at c=0.

However, fs(c)=lim(h->0)[f(c+h)-f(c-h)]/2h=0, as |x| is symmetric about the y-axis. That is, f(c+h)-f(c-h) is always zero.

Seems right to me. What do you think?

7. Nov 22, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think that's excellent.

(I would write it specifically as fs(0)= lim(h->0) (|h|- |-h|)/2h= 0, however.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook