Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic continuation of an integral involving the mittag-leffler function

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    greetings . we have the integral :

[tex] I(s)=\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{s(E_{s}(x^{s})-1)-x}{x(e^{x}-1)}dx [/tex]

which is equivalent to

[tex] =I(s)=\frac{1}{4}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\theta(ix)\left(sE_{s/2} ((\pi x)^{s/2})-s-2x^{1/2}\right)}{x}dx [/tex]

[itex]E_{\alpha}(z)[/itex] being the mittag-leffler function

and [itex] \theta(x) [/itex] is the jacobi theta function

the integral above behaves well for Re(s)>1 . i am trying to extend the domain of [itex]I(s)[/itex] to the whole complex plane except for some points. but i have no idea where to start !!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2
    the mittag-leffler function admits the beautiful continuation :

[tex]E_{\alpha}(z)=1-E_{-\alpha}(z^{-1}) [/tex]

using the fact that
    [tex]I(s)=\frac{1}{4}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\theta(ix) \left(sE_{s/2} ((\pi x)^{s/2})-s-2x^{1/2}\right)}{x}dx [/tex]

and :

[tex]\theta(-\frac{1}{t})=(-it)^{1/2}\theta(t) [/tex]

one can split the integration much like the one concerning the Riemann zeta . but i am not sure this will yield a meromorphic integral . hence, the problem !!

4. Feb 19, 2012 #3
    here is what i've been trying to do

[tex] I(s)= 1 -\frac{1}{2}\left[\ln(x)\right]_{1}^{\infty}-\int_{1}^{\infty}\omega(x)\left(x^{-1}+\frac{sx^{-1}}{2}+x^{-1/2} \right ) dx +\int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{s\omega(x)}{2}\left[x^{-1}E_{\frac{s}{2}}(x\pi)^{s/2}-x^{-1/2} E_{\frac{-s}{2}}\left(\frac{x}{\pi}\right)^{s/2} \right ]dx +\int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{s}{4}\left[x^{-1} E_{\frac{-s}{2}}\left(\frac{x}{\pi} \right )^{s/2}+x^{-1/2}E_{\frac{-s}{2}}\left(\frac{x}{\pi} \right )^{s/2} \right ]dx[/tex]

where[tex] \omega(x)=\frac{\theta(ix)-1}{2}[/tex]

i would like some help here !!!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?