Analytic Geometry Question (equation of a circle)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of a circle with a center on the x-axis and passing through two given points. The process involves drawing a diagram, determining the slope of the line AB, finding the equation of the perpendicular bisector, solving for the x-coordinate of the center, and then finding the distance from the center to one of the given points to determine the radius. The final equation of the circle can be written using the center and radius values.
vodkasoup

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the circle whose centre lies on the x-axis and which passes through points A (6,0) and B (0,10).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram of the circle and determined that the line AB has gradient 5/3. Its perpendicular bisector should pass through the centre of the circle. This perpendicular line has a gradient of -3/5 and, I think, an equation of 3x+5y-34=0.

The centre lies on the x-axis, so the y-coordinate at the centre must be 0. Hence I can use the equation of the perpendicular line to solve for x at point (x,0). I get 34/4 for x here, giving a centre at (34/3 ,0).

I am not sure where to go now, or if the above is even correct. Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vodkasoup said:
I drew a diagram of the circle and determined that the line AB has gradient 5/3.
The slope is -5/3, not 5/3. :wink: So the slope of the perpendicular will instead be 3/5, and the equation of the line will be... ?

Whoops...I'll blame that one on lack of sleep! ;)

So I'm on the right track? The equation of the perpendicular line is now (I hope) 3x-5y-16=0.

vodkasoup said:
Whoops...I'll blame that one on lack of sleep! ;)

So I'm on the right track? The equation of the perpendicular line is now (I hope) 3x-5y-16=0.
I got 3x - 5y + 16 = 0. :wink:

vodkasoup said:
The centre lies on the x-axis, so the y-coordinate at the centre must be 0. Hence I can use the equation of the perpendicular line to solve for x at point (x,0).

After you do this, find the distance from the center to either A or B. That will give you the radius. Once you have the center and radius, you can write the equation of the circle.

You can find the centre of the circle without much geometry, just using the fact that the given points are at equal distance R from it. If the coordinates of the centre are (a,0), a2+102=(6-a)2=R2.

ehild

Thanks for your replies ehild and eumyang, you were a great help.

1. What is the equation for a circle in analytic geometry?

The equation for a circle in analytic geometry is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) represents the center of the circle and r represents the radius.

2. How do you find the center and radius of a circle from its equation in analytic geometry?

To find the center and radius of a circle from its equation in analytic geometry, you can simply compare the equation to the standard form (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2 and identify the values of h, k, and r.

3. Can the equation of a circle have a negative radius in analytic geometry?

No, the radius of a circle in analytic geometry must be a positive value. A negative radius would result in an imaginary circle that does not exist in the real plane.

4. How do you graph a circle using its equation in analytic geometry?

To graph a circle using its equation in analytic geometry, you can plot the center point (h,k) and then use the radius r to mark points on the circle's circumference, either by counting units outwards from the center or using the Pythagorean theorem.

5. Can the equation of a circle have fractions or decimals as its center or radius in analytic geometry?

Yes, the center and radius of a circle in analytic geometry can have fractions or decimals as their values. In fact, many circles in real-world applications have centers that are not whole numbers.